I have never been more ready

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by DoubleMethod, Apr 6, 2013.

1. DoubleMethod New Member

English - Ireland
    Is there an idiomatic phrase which eloquently represents what I mean in German? I am aware of "Ich bin soweit", "Ich bin fix und fertig", etc., but they do not quite say what I mean.

If there is a phrase which means "I was born ready", then this would also be good.

Thank you.
  2. Hamlet2508 Senior Member

A bit more context would help.:) The phrase as such would be Ich war nie bereiter....(etwas zu tun,etc...)
  3. DoubleMethod New Member

English - Ireland
    OK, thank you! This is a common phrase in English. If someone asks if you are ready for a difficult task — like are you read to go for a bungee jump or something (just as an example) — it is common for someone to say they "were born ready". As in literally, they came out of the womb ready for anything life throws at them. It is idiomatic, of course.

Another phrase that is used is that one "has never been more ready". As in at this very point in time, you are the most prepared you have ever been for a particular task.

I suppose I am looking for a phrase that is interesting in that it is not the most typical "I am ready!" response. I am looking for an "exaggerated" I am ready, if you get what I mean?

I do not know how else to explain it other than I want to impress my German teacher when she asks me if I am ready to begin speaking on a debate motion. Yes, I can say "Ich bin soweit!", but that is a bit boring and common. Are there any more exciting phrases that mean "I am very ready!" in German?

That's what I'm looking for.

Thank you!

EDIT: Oh, I just saw that your native language was itself English, so much of my explanation is superfluous. Sorry.
  4. Hamlet2508 Senior Member

What about
    Ich kann es gar nicht erwarten, zu beginnen.(Can't wait to begin?)

rather informal, slightly colloquial (might get you extra credit points)

Ich bin sowas von bereit zu beginnen.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  5. Resa Reader Senior Member

After having read your explanation - and without scrolling down to Hamlet's proposals - may first idea for what you could say in that particular situation was:

"Ich kann's kaum (mehr) erwarten."

So that's very similar to what Hamlet suggested. I'm afraid there is no term that exactly says "I've never been more ready."

(In some situations you might even say "Ich bin schon ganz heiß drauf.")
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013