1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I have ordered already.

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by mollysmate, Jul 20, 2009.

1. mollysmate Junior Member

Ireland | English
    The word 'order' has so many varieties in the dictionary. I'm not sure how to put this following phrase. Specifically occurring in two circumstance.

When wanting to order... to say.
    We're ready to order.

But often when we have ordered we get a second waiter wanting to help ... on this occasion I'd like to say
    I've order already.

(Where as now grapple around with varieties of .. not to worry, I'm fine thank you - which of course is not really conveying the message).

If there's am idiom that is used - ie that the above is not translatable directly - I'd like to know this too.

Thanks

2. pedroRK1 Junior Member

REMOVE ME !!!
    Entiendo que quieres la traducción al español.

When wanting to order... to say. We're ready to order. Se puede decir de varias maneras, la más corriente es cambiarlo a ya puede tomar nota.

But often when we have ordered we get a second waiter wanting to help ... on this occasion I'd like to say I've order already. Lo habitual (ahí sí es más fiel al inglés) es ya hemos pedido.

3. juandiego

juandiego SE modera

Granada. España
    Spanish from Spain
    I agree with Pedro.
    Just to point out that "ya" could be in (almost) any place in both cases though the most common choices are at the beginning or at the end of the phrases.

Ya pude tomar nota.
    Puede ya tomar nota.
    Puede tomar ya nota.
    Puede tomar nota ya.

Ya hemos pedido.
    Hemos ya pedido. (Well, this sounds quite stupid though don't know if it's wrong)
    Hemos pedido ya.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  4. englishfreak Senior Member

Spain (Spanish)
    I think "hemos ya pedido" is wrong. "Puede ya tomar nota" or "Puede tomar ya nota" aren't wrong, gramatically speaking, but it does sound awkward to me. Might be a regional thing or something. The other ones are great!

5. mollysmate Junior Member

Ireland | English
    Ya is of course another mystery for me.

But for now Gracias that's really helpful. (The alternative, of course, would be that I cook more - so wouldn't have to keep going to restaurants!!!)