1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I <have> sent you...

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Puscifer, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Puscifer New Member

Russian
    For exemple:

I sent you the necessary documents.
    I have sent you the necessary documents.

Thank you! Hace a nice day.

2. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Stoke on Trent
    England and English
    Hello and welcome to the forums.

The could both be correct. It depends on the context of who you are saying this to, and why are you saying it?

3. Puscifer New Member

Russian
    Okay. (now there are be a lot of english mistakes, but you please suffer it) I want to say support service, what I have done... oh wait, I think I myself responded to my question?:) What I have done the requirements they asks.

4. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Welcome to the Forum, Puscifer.

So the context is that the support service (for your phone/computer/etc.) is trying to help you and wants to know what you have done. Yes, in that case, I would say, 'I have sent you the necessary documents.' The perfective (have + verb) is used to refer to something done in the past that has present relevance, so that fits your context.

5. Puscifer New Member

Russian
    Welcome to Singapore!

So, you mean: if I wanna say "I sent christmas gifts year ago, by the way" - I don't need "have" part?

6. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    If you're reporting a single (non-repeated) event happening in the past, the simple past would suffice: I sent them a Christmas gift. If you're wondering why they haven't said thank you, you might say, 'I have sent them a Christmas gift. Why haven't they thanked me?' The 'present relevance' applies to the second sentence.

7. Puscifer New Member

Russian
    [​IMG] natkretep Thank you very much. Very sensible information.