1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I hope all is well with you

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by born in newyork, Jun 14, 2009.

1. born in newyork Senior Member

New York
    U.S.A./English
    A very basic question:

I want to enclose a one-sentence note with a package I am sending an elderly friend. How would I say: "I hope all is well with you." I would like to be relatively formal.

Thanks so much.

2. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

Saxony-Anhalt
    German
    "Ich hoffe, Ihnen geht es gut" (formal "sie"-form)

"Ich hoffe, dir geht es gut (informal "du")

Is there any specific reason why you want to be rather formal? I advice never to use "sie" among friends even if he/she is older. I can quickly sound rather distant.
    Do you use first names among each other?

3. born in newyork Senior Member

New York
    U.S.A./English
    Here is the situation. The note is coming from an 81-year-old female in the United States to another female of the same age who grew up in and lives in Hungary. They were introduced by a mutual friend and had coffee together once. They spoke of their life histories and addressed each other by their first names. We would like to be as affectionate as possible but want to address her in the manner that she would expect in this situation. What do you think: due or sie?

4. Aumont Junior Member

Considering the age and the fact that they only met once, I'd still go for "Sie" in this situation, although they addressed each other by their first names. So it would be "Ich hoffe, es geht Ihnen gut".
    "Du" is rather for people who have known each other quite some time, or if it has been "offered" (e.g. you say: "please call me "Du""). If this was the case, you can go for the "Du", of course.

5. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

Saxony-Anhalt
    German
    I agree with Aumont. I´m rather suprised that you could call somebody a "friend" if you just met once.

6. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    "Du" is also used, if they are relatives, for example sisters. This is independend how often they met before - if they know they are sisters, they would most probably address each other with "Du".

In your case I agree with "Sie".

7. brian

brian Senior Member

Montréal
    AmE (New Orleans)
    Can you say: Ich hoffe, alles geht gut bei Ihnen.?

8. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    Hi Brian, this is only used in special context, for example - "alles" is a complicate operation, or some other complicate or dangerous procedure. "Alles geht gut" is a special idiom.

"Gut gehen" means here "Gut verlaufen". This means approximately: I hope all will be successfully with you (Is "with you" correct here?).

It replaces the future here:

Ich hoffe alles wird gutgehen.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  9. Kamelie

Kamelie Senior Member

Hamburg
    German
    I guess you could say "alles geht gut" in a more general context as well, but it sounds rather informal and a bit awkward.

born in new york, I agree that "Sie" seems appropriate, unless "Du" has been used before (in that case you wouldn't go back on it). You could address the lady in question by her first name though, e.g.: "Liebe Maria, ich hoffe, es geht Ihnen gut." That's a bit old-fashioned but expresses both affection and respect.