I hope it is fine with you.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Vickyhere, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Vickyhere Senior Member

Italian
    Many confusions and, when I am confirming an appointment, I am not sure whether:

"I hope it is fine with you."

is it correct?

OR "...fine for you."

????

2. liliput

liliput Senior Member

Spain
    U.K. English
    I would say "I hope it's OK/okay with you".

3. Vickyhere Senior Member

Italian
    Many thanks Liliput!!!

Two quick questions:

English teacher taught me to not use "ok" in written English, is it correct?

AND

Do you know why I have to use "with you" and not "for you"...?

4. liliput

liliput Senior Member

Spain
    U.K. English
    I use OK in written English all the time, although the OED lists it as informal. If it's very formal you might write "I hope that's acceptable". I hope your English teacher didn't suggest you use fine instead, because I don't think it would be very idiomatic in this sentence.

I don't know of any technical reason why we say "with" instead of "for" - that's just the way it is.

5. mtmjr

mtmjr Senior Member

California/Ohio (US)
    English (US)
    I don't think "fine" sounds bad at all. To say, "I hope that's fine with you." sounds just fine to me. I guess it might be a BE/AE difference.

I think the word "ok" looks odd in written English (assuming it is not informal writing). If you are going to use it, I would write "okay" not just "ok".

I don't have a reason for "with" instead of "for", but the phrase simply is, "okay with".

6. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States
    I'm speaking AE here, so there may be differences.

1. Are you calling an office to confirm an appointment you've made?

If so:
    "I'm calling to confirm my appointment at such-n-such."
    I would never ask the office person if it's fine for/with them. It's unnecessary because I've just told them why I'm calling and then it's up to them to reply whether or not I'm correct.

They might reply:
    "Yes, that's correct. Is that still fine with you?"

2. If I'm making an appointment:
    "Hello, I'm calling to make an appointment."

The office person might say:
    "All right. We have an opening on Monday, June 30th at 9 o'clock. Is that time good for you?"

3. If I'm the office person calling a patient to confirm their appointment:
    Hello, I'm calling to confirm your appointment on Monday, June 30th at 9 o'clock. Is this time still convenient for you?"

I guess my point is both for/with can be all right under certain circumstances.

Also, in regards to OK. Maybe your teacher meant that if you do use this word, you should actually spell it correctly in full:
    Okay.

I hope I haven't confused you further. :)

I hope it works for you and that you're fine with it. ;)

AngelEyes

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  7. toshev Senior Member

Australia, English
    Fine is fine, but you need to use "that's fine" for it to sound fine, rather than "it is fine," which sounds a bit off.

For scheduling an appointment, "for you" is fine, too. But otherwise "okay with" is the general use of okay.

8. Vickyhere Senior Member

Italian
    Thank you to everyone for all the kind answers.

Now, I try to give a feedback to each one all of you.

Yes, you are right, my teacher did not teach me to use fine instead of ok. He said just that ok is not used in written English but we have to use right. I chose fine because I thought that right was not fine in this circumstance.

Anyway, I will remember for next time to use: "I hope that's acceptable."

Thank you for your long explanation and the last brilliant example!
    It helps me to using correctly the word for and with in these circumstances. I hope...:D

Even in this case, English teacher taught me to not write in abbreviation form, never, ever... Just for that I wrote it is and not it's or that's.

Very useful the final explanation!

9. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States
    Vicky,

In AE, we would definitely use all right in place of okay. (Not alright)

I think it's good that your teacher steers you toward the more acceptable words. But in the back of your mind now, you will always know you can use okay when it feels okay to you! :D

My policy:
    Keep the teacher happy...then get on with your life in the real world.

That's what I love about knowledge: it gives you fabulous choices.

AngelEyes

10. Vickyhere Senior Member

Italian
    I read again this my old post and I would like to ask how to use the some form in answering. For example: Tuesday is good/OK/fine for me or have I to say Tuesday is good/OK/fine with me instead?