1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I hope to see you again.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by sjhrshin, Dec 31, 2006.

1. sjhrshin Senior Member

Korean
    Hi

1) I hope to see you again.
    2) I hope that I see you again.
    3) I hope that I can see you again.

Are all the sentences correct and same in the meaning?

Though I use "often/frequently" instead of "again", is the same rule applied here?

Thanks

2. Victoria32

Victoria32 Senior Member

New Zealand
    English (UK) New Zealand
    All the sentences are correct, but not all of them have the same meaning.
    1) I hope to see you again. Means that you might not, and is sometimes used just for politeness - you have been introduced to a friend of your sister, who has been to tea at your house. You say sentence one as she leaves, but her visit was unexpected and she may or may not repeat it.
    2) I hope that I see you again.
    Again, this means that you might not - you are saying this to a fellow student who has graduated and gone to a job, or further study. She might have gone to live in another town. You express the hope that she (or you) will have the time to visit.
    3) I hope that I can see you again.
    You say this when you seriously want to see this person again. You have been on a date with him/her possibly, and you are a bit worried that they may not want to repeat the experience - or perhaps you want them to teach you or help you with something...
    Often and frequently are slightly different again. The sentences are correct, with slight shades of difference of meaning.

Vicky

3. Shauneyzboyz

Shauneyzboyz Senior Member

Albany, NY
    English
    All three are correct, although #3 is slightly different. Saying "I hope I can see you again" could possibly suggest that you may not be able to see the person again, while the others simply express that you hope to see the said person another time.

4. sjhrshin Senior Member

Korean
    Thank you.

If I say, I hope I can see you here frequently(often), does it mean that I already assumed that "you" might not come here?

I'm wondering if this kind of assumption might be a little bit rude to "you".

Also, how do you use differently "often" and "frequently"?
    Thanks.

5. Victoria32

Victoria32 Senior Member

New Zealand
    English (UK) New Zealand
    Now, if you say "I hope I can see you here frequently(often" it implies that you believe the person does go there (to a café, gym library or whatever) and you're saying that you hope that you can/will meet her/him there.

Frequently implies that he/she is there more times, than often. Frequently also implies regularly - she is at the library Monday,Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday nights - whereas often can mean as little as once a week, but still more than say once a month...
    So often and frequently are not quite the same....

Vicky