I hope you are fine. I miss the Philippines a lot.

Discussion in 'Tagalog and Filipino Languages' started by julie66, Mar 13, 2014.

1. julie66 New Member

french
    Hey all,

I would like to translate this sentence for a friend:

"I hope you are fine. I miss the Philippines a lot. Take care"

My attempt:

"Umaasa ako na kayo ay pinong. Makaligtaan ko sa Pilipinas marami. Ingat."

Tell me if it's correct?

Julie

2. DotterKat Moderator

California, USA
    English (American)
    This is one of those cases in which a faithful translation of the original text, particularly the tone, will end up sounding too formal in Tagalog.
    Sana maayos ang kalagayan ninyong lahat. Sabik na sabik na ako na [makabalik / makita muli] ang Pilipinas. Mag-ingat kayong lahat.

My preference would be a less stringent translation, one that will sound more colloquial and yet will mean the same thing:

Sana ok kayong lahat. Miss na miss ko na ang Pilipinas. Ingat!

3. julie66 New Member

french
    Thanks for your help!

Does the word "kayong lahat" refer to several person? How to translate "I hope you are fine" if "you" corresponds to one person.
    The word "miss" appears twice in the second sentence. Is it correct?

4. DotterKat Moderator

California, USA
    English (American)
    Yes, kayong lahat refers to a group of people. To refer to one person, the text would be:

Sana ok ka (I hope you are fine/ok) OR better yet Sana ok ka diyan (I hope you are fine over there / I hope things are ok with you over there).
    Yes. This is emphasis by repetition and this same rhetorical device also appears in my first alternative translation: sabik na sabik ( a "really, really" strong longing / yearning for something). Other examples: mahal na mahal ("really, really" love) or ayaw na ayaw ("really, really" dislike)

[Dans le même esprit, entre deux amis intimes: Tu me manques vraiment, vraiment, vraiment ... et beaucoup trop, beaucoup trop...]

5. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

Sana ay ayos ka lang dyan. Lagi kitang naiisip. Ingat ka!

6. Literal translation won't work.

I hope you are fine. = Sana ay ayos ka lang dyan.
    I miss the Philippines a lot. = Sobrang miss ko na ang Pilipinas.
    Take care. = Ingat.

Sana ay ayos ka lang dyan. Sobrang miss ko na ang Pilipinas.. Ingat!

*miss is the word used in daily conversation. nasasabik / nangungulila is too formal.
    *okay will be a good substitute for ayos, especially in urban setting.

7. latchiloya Junior Member

Filipino

Your concerns are:
    1. to translate the quotation: "I hope you are fine. I miss the Philippines a lot. Take care."
    2. to inform you if the second quotation: "Umaasa ako na kayo ay pinong. Makaligtaan ko sa Pilipinas marami. Ingat.'', is correct

Your second concern is more likely a verbatim translation. You've got the wrong translation for the words: "fine", "miss" and "lot".

Your first concern, there are three sentences.
    1."I hope you are fine."
    -"sana" is an a word in imperative mood that translates into "I hope that".
    -"umaasa" is the word equivalent to "hoping". (asa = hope)
    -"you" may translates either "ikaw"(the one spoken to) or kayo (the one spoken to and the one/s spoken of)
    -"fine" in the context given denotes "in good state or condition".(for there is no verbatim translation for the said "fine" in Filipino language)
    _"pinong is an equivalent translation for "fine" yet in a different denotation.

thus, you may say:
    "Sana ikaw/ kayo ay nasa mabuting kalagayan".

2. "I miss the Philippines a lot." is equivalent to "Sabik na talaga ako sa pilipinas."
    Where in, talaga and na function as intensifiers or to translate into the adverb "a lot".

3."Take care." is an interjection and is equivalent to "ingat."

conclusively:
    "Sana ikaw/kayo ay nasa mabuting kalagayan. Sabik na talaga ako sa pilipinas. Ingat!"

Note: the translations only include the Filipino Language frequency in usage with formality and its natur as verb-dominant. This excludes the non-formal and/or borrowed words from another language. The writer is open to any opportunity to help everyone so as to be helped out for mutual interest. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014