I hope you (will) consider my application

Discussion in 'English Only' started by nurdug51, Nov 24, 2008.

1. nurdug51 Senior Member

This is about formal letters.

.... I hope you consider my application.
    .... I hope you will consider my application.

Do you usually use the future or the present tense after hope?

I think I have read you can go on with the present tense but it's sounds more polite to me if you go on with the future. Can you help me?
  2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    Either formulation is acceptable.

However, in a letter accompanying an application neither of these might be appropriate because you are assuming that they will "consider" it because they are taking a look at it.
  3. envie de voyager Senior Member

Niagara Falls, Canada
    Using the future tense is more polite. Saying that you hope someone will consider something gives the impression that they can consider it when ever they have time. Using the present tense gives the impression that you expect them to do it now.
  4. nurdug51 Senior Member

I don't quite understand. Could you explain this to me?
  5. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

English - England
    I don't agree: looking at it is not the same as considering it - the reader may look at it long enough to decide that it is an application, and then throw it in the bin.

To me, I hope you will consider my application sounds marginally better because it is marginally politer. The essence of politeness in language is often an admission that the interlocutor has a choice whether to be nice to you or not. I hope you will consider, meaning I hope you consent to consider, provides this acknowledgment.