1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I lied/Just kidding

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Yondlivend, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Yondlivend Senior Member

American English
    I have heard both the phrases "I lied" and "just kidding" used to avoid saying outright "I was wrong/mistaken" when correcting oneself (especially when it was something obvious). It is generally said as soon as the person realizes that they made a mistake. I think I've seen "miento" (in the present tense) for Spanish before, but perhaps someone else could confirm that. Do you use a similar phrase in your language for this purpose? Transliterations, phonetic transcriptions, and literal translations are all appreciated. (Excuse the formatting. I tried to separate some of the lines but it doesn't seem to be working right now).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. ahmedcowon Senior Member

In Arabic:

I was kidding
    Standard: كنت أمزح /kuntu amzahu/
    Levatine: كنت عم بمزح /kent 'am bemzah/
    Egyptian: كنت بأهزر /kunt bahaz'zar/

3. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Hebrew:
    i was kidding:
    צחקתי tzakhakti

i lied:
    שיקרתי shikarti

and theres another word that conveys this and more and cannot be translated
    סתם stam

4. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Interesting question and welcome to this Forum. In spoken Hungarian the idiom "hazudok" (Present Tense of the verb hazudik to lie) is used instead of the idiom I was wrong, but we cannot say "just kidding" in that concrete situation. I hope that helped. Enc.

5. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    In Russian we do not say "I'm kidding" in this situation (BTW, I've never heard it used like that in English either).

Sometimes jockingly we say "'m lying":
    вру /vroo/ (present tense, first person singular of the verb врать /vrat'/ to lie; the pronoun "I" omitted).

6. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek it's considered very informal conversation (colloquialism) to use:
    «Όχι, ψέματα*» ['oçi 'psemata] (neut. nom. pl.) --> no, lies
    «Σε δουλεύω**» [se ðu'levo] --> I work/am working you (Greek idiom for "I'm kidding you")
    «Πλάκα*** έκανα» ['plaka 'ekana] --> I made a flat stone (Greek idiom for "I made a joke"), «το είπα γιά πλάκα» [to 'ipa ʝa 'plaka] --> I said it for [a] flat stone (Greek idiom for "I said it for fun")

*Neut. noun «ψέμα/ψέματα» ['psema] (neut. nom. sing.), ['psemata] (neut. nom. pl.) --> lie (lies), deriving from the Classical neut. noun «ψεῦσμα» 'pseusmă --> lie, untruth.
    **v. «δουλεύω» [ðu'levo] --> intransitive to work (coll.), transitive to kid, tease (coll.).
    ***Fem. noun «πλάκα» ['plaka], deriving from the Classical 3rd declension feminine noun «πλάξ» plăks --> lit. flat stone, tablet; when we break it: «σπάω πλάκα» ['spa.o 'plaka] --> to break a flat stone, we make a joke/prank (prof. Babiniotis finds it a false friend of the French blague --> joke, nonsence; folk etymology resulted in replacing the French word "blague" by the Gr. «πλάκα»)

7. Ghabi

Ghabi Moderator

Cantonese (Hong Kong)
    Hello! Do you mean they're used like "oops" as an interjection? Or are the usages different?