1. The WordReference Forums are under attack from some Korean spammers.

We have created a filter that requires moderation intervention for all messages with Korean characters from new users. The impact should be minimal, but posts from new users will only appear after a few minutes delay.

I like this version of Kim Jo Han's song the most.

Discussion in '한국어 (Korean)' started by bailarín, Jan 22, 2014.

1. bailarín

bailarín Senior Member

Ciudadano del mundo
    English (USA)
    Hello Korean forum:

I'm having a little trouble constructing the following statement. I'm posting this as a Facebook comment to friends, so I'm not sure how polite I should be. Any help would be appreciated:

I like this version of Kim Jo Han's song (sung by ABC) the most...
    or
    This version of Kim Jo Han's song (sung by ABC) is the best...

My attempt: 이 김조한 노래 version 은 정말 좋아요.

I can't think of a good word for version without using a Konglish word, so maybe I need to reword the sentence:

I like this Kim Jo Han song sung by ABC the most.

My attempt: 이 김조한 노래 ABC 불렁거는 정말 좋아요.

감사합니다.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  2. Kross

Kross Senior Member

S.Korea
    Korean
    I would say, " 김조한의 이 버젼을 가장 좋아해요." We often tend to use 버전 for version, the one that is directly borrowed from its counterpart, version, in English.

3. bailarín

bailarín Senior Member

Ciudadano del mundo
    English (USA)
    Hi again, Kross!!

I must've edited my original post as you were responding. Is "버젼" a widely used word? If I went to a random 아줌마 on the street, would they understand? Otherwise, if it's a Konglish word, I may rather just reword the sentence.

I like this Kim Jo Han song sung by ABC the most.

My attempt: 이 김조한 노래 ABC 불렁거는 정말 좋아요. Does this even make sense? Haha...

Thanks again!!

4. Kross

Kross Senior Member

S.Korea
    Korean
    When we narrow the discussion scope to the domestic music market, I personally think that 버전 is the most common word for version. It is also a standard Korean word. You can also use ~판 as in 베타판 (a beta version). But I prefer to use it mainly when I talk about versions of computer software. Most natives understand what you mean though, no matter which word you choose.

I am convinced that most 아줌마s are well aware of the meanings of 버전.

Yes, that's understandable. It would better if you said, "이 김조한 노래, ABC가 부른 거를 가장 좋아해." If a listener already knows what song you are talking about, you just can say, "ABC 버전 가장 좋아해."