1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I lived to sounds: the beat of the trackers...

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Annakrutitskaya, May 6, 2014.

1. Annakrutitskaya Senior Member

Russian
    Hello!

I would be grateful if you help me to understand the meaning of "I lived to sounds.." - what meaning does preposition 'to' adds to the verb 'to live' here?
    [​IMG](John Hersey, A Single Pebble)

I lived to sounds: the beat of the trackers' signaling drum froward of the mast, Old Pebble's faraway chanting and the pained rhythmic cry of the trackers, orders shouted from the junk, the chopping of vegetables, the...

Thank you!

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Your link returns an error. You may quote up to four sentences, in addition to describing what is going on.

3. Annakrutitskaya Senior Member

Russian
    when I click on the link, I see a picture with the sentence :) strange

4. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    This is a perfect opportunity to work on your typing skills for future generations of forum members. If that picture goes missing, they'll never know what this thread was about ... and we are building a repository of English wisdom: yes, you and me. :)

5. Annakrutitskaya Senior Member

Russian
    it's true! :) I'm happy to be part of this great community :) Thank you for your help :)
    So, what about this 'live to'? :)

6. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    It simply means that he lived his life to (the rhythm of, the accompaniment of) sounds. What follows this statement is a list of sounds he is living to. Does that make sense?

Last edited: May 6, 2014