1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I look forward to conducting research in Japan

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by ralextheconq, May 31, 2013.

1. ralextheconq New Member

English
    Hi guys,

I'm a student who will be introducing myself to a government office (who gave me a scholarship to study at a local University), thanking them for the opportunity to conduct research while developing the relationship between Idaho and Tokyo.

I was told that it would be best to use keigo, but I know very little ultra polite Japanese. Could someone help me write the following (or something in the same vein) in polite Japanese?:

"Hello everyone, it's very nice to meet you. My name is ralextheconq and I am from City, Idaho. I look forward to conducting research in Japan. I also look forward to learning more about Japan while teaching about my own culture. Thank you for this opportunity."

Thanks!

2. Schokolade Senior Member

England
    Japanese
    こんにちは、みなさん。初めまして。アイダホの(City)から参りました、(ralextheconq)と申します。このたび、日本で研究をさせていただけることになり、たいへんうれしく思っています。滞在期間中は、日本についてより多くのことを学び、同時に日本のみなさんにも私の国の文化についてよりよく知っていただけるよう、がんばりたいと思っています。今回のこの機会を与えてくださったみなさまに、心よりお礼申し上げます。どうもありがとうございました。

-----
    (Is this a speech or a letter? I'm asking this because I found a post on another forum where someone replied to this using "拝啓", and 拝啓/敬具 are only used in a formal letter, as you might know...)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  3. ralextheconq New Member

English
    Thanks! It was for an aisatsu.