1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I look forward to seeing you on Friday

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by hebron, Feb 26, 2008.

1. hebron New Member

Argentina Español
    Thanks, is for a date. I want to show interest, but without being "obvious".
    What would be the French for that?

2. pieanne

pieanne Senior Member

Nice Hinterland
    Belgium/French
    Welcome to the forum, Hebron! :)

The English should be "I look forward to seeing you on Friday"
    The French could be "j'ai hâte de te/vous voir vendredi", or "je me réjouis de te/vous voir vendredi"

3. pulsar29

pulsar29 Senior Member

Switzerland
    French
    The original should read "I'm looking forward to seeing you on friday", which could be translated into "Je me réjouis de te voir vendredi", which is an expression that can be used with just about anyone (friend, colleague, lover...)

4. Chèvredansante Senior Member

Ottawa, Canada
    English
    « J'ai hâte de vous voir vendredi. » is the first thing that comes to mind, but it's rather blatant and stark.

« Ce sera vraiment plaisant de vous voir vendredi. » would be less 'stark', but is something that only a deranged person like me would say.

Nota, in English, you would have to say: "I look forward to seeing you on Friday."

5. hebron New Member

Argentina Español
    Thank you! sorry for my english! you guys are so great!!

6. Fishingcap Senior Member

i would say in a less formal way
    "Cela me fait plaisir de te/vous voir Vendredi"
    "Je suis content(e) de te/vous voir Vendredi"

7. ExpatRat Junior Member

As a French woman I would prefer my date to say "Je me réjouis de te voir vendredi".

Hope it helps.

8. Jean-Michel Carrère Senior Member

French from France
    Il me tarde (de vous voir) vendredi

9. ExpatRat Junior Member

Ah oui, très joli "Il me tarde de vous voir vendredi", un tantinet surranné mais beaucoup de charme :)
    Notez: pas aussi bien avec le tutoiement.

10. Jean-Michel Carrère Senior Member

French from France
    I don't agree with you on that one. I personally very often use "il me tarde de te revoir" for instance. Maybe I am suranné ...