1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by monaco, Mar 21, 2007.

1. monaco New Member

Monte-Carlo
    Canada, English/Polish
    After looking at the numerous threads concerning this topic, I could still use some help translating my slight variation please. I would like to end my formal letter with: "I look forward to speaking with you soon".

This is my poor attempt:
    "In attesa di parlare con Lei, porgo cordiali saluti."

Grazie.

2. new york Junior Member

New York
    Italy, Italian
    I would suggest:
    "In attesa di parlare con lei di persona, porgo, cordiali saluti", but this is sentence is ok, only if you are planning to meet this person.
    hope this help, if not, please let me know.
    ciao!

3. pimpiepooh Senior Member

Italy
    If you need a formal expression, I'd say "in attesa di sentirLa/sentirVi in merito, porgo distinti/cordiali saluti".

4. Angel.Aura

Angel.Aura del Mod, solo L'aura

Roma, Italia
    Italian
    If you plan to actually meet this person, I'd say "In attesa di incontrarLa".
    If you just wait for a sign from this person, a phone call, a letter or so, you could say "In attesa di un Suo/Vostro cenno di riscontro".

5. monaco New Member

Monte-Carlo
    Canada, English/Polish
    Unfortunately, I cannot meet this person for my interview. I am responding to her email, so I cannot say: "I look forward to your response."

Originally, I was thinking something like: "I look forward to speaking with you soon" (on the telephone though). But I am open to any other suggestions!

Would "in attesa di sentirLa in merito..." still work in this case as suggested?

6. new york Junior Member

New York
    Italy, Italian
    So, in this case you have to write: "in attesa di risentirLa presto, porgo...."

7. monaco New Member

Monte-Carlo
    Canada, English/Polish
    Sounds perfect!! Grazie!

8. BPac Junior Member

Milton Keynes - UK
    English - UK
    Hi all,

I would like to translate the same phrase but in a slightly different context. I am signing off a formal introductory email to a business person whose secretary I have already spoken with. I have made a proposal that I wish to discuss with this person, either by email or telephone. My last sentence reads as follows:

"Please let me know of a convenient time to call you to discuss the proposal in further detail. I look forward to hearing from you soon"

My attempt:

"Mi faccia sapere quando Le viene comodo di chimarLa per discutere la proposta in più dettaglio. Mi auguro di sentirLa presto."

Thanks,
    BPac

9. Skin Senior Member

Italian
    Hi BP!
    There are numbers of possibilities. Yours is correct (apart from "in più dettaglio" that should be "più in dettaglio"), but a little bit brusque ("please" is missing in the Italian version).
    You might say:

"Le chiedo cortesemente di farmi sapere quando potrò disturbarla per discutere la proposta più dettagliatamente/approfonditamente ".

Ciao

10. BPac Junior Member

Milton Keynes - UK
    English - UK
    Hi Skin,

Thanks for your amendments. Is the last sentence ok too? ...Mi auguro di sentirLa presto...?

Thanks,
    BPac

11. King Crimson

King Crimson Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    Italiano