1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. soupissuper

soupissuper Junior Member

California
    English- USA
    If someone says 'te quiero'- do you just respond with 'te quiero'? Or is there a way to say 'I love you too', like we do in english? Would 'te quiero tambien' make sense?

2. ILT

ILT Moderando con moderación

México
    México - Español/Castellano
    We usually say:

Yo también te quiero/amo

Greetings

3. Spanishgirl1806

Spanishgirl1806 Junior Member

US English
    Yo tambien te amo means the same thing as Yo tambien te quiero right?

4. soupissuper

California
    English- USA
    I'm so confused by the whole quiero/amo thing... Who can explain this one?

5. Aberwitz Junior Member

Spain - Spanish
    Amar = to love
    Querer = to love + to want (Quiero a Ana or Quiero ese coche)

If we are talking about Spanish from Spain I would recommend just to drop the verb "amar". You can only hear it in poems and songs. In real life everybody uses "querer".

6. soupissuper

California
    English- USA
    THANK YOU! That helps. But can you explain how to use "querer" in a sentence? It is used in the same way as quiero?

7. Aberwitz Junior Member

Spain - Spanish
    "Quiero" is the 1st person present of the verb querer, just in the same way that "wants" is the 3rd person present of the verb to want.

Yo quiero a Ana
    Tú quieres a Ana
    Él quiere a Ana
    Nosotros queremos a Ana
    Vosotros queréis a Ana
    Ellos quieren a Ana

Hope that helps! ;)

8. PepeComp Junior Member

España
    español España
    "Yo también"

9. vickmiranda New Member

spanish
    NO. Querer y Amar have different meanings, when you say yo tambien TE QUIERO..that means I love you (at my convinience, just if you can be useful to me) .. when you say TE AMO that is a a strong/deeply .. I love you (inconditionaly, no matter what). Hope this helps

You might say Yo quiero pizza, that is, you can use it for material things, but you cannot use Yo amo pizza because that is just a non sense stupid slogan

10. Laurajoana New Member

Spanish, Spain
    I would like to say that in Spain a person say 'te quiero' with the same sense that in hispanoamerica they use more normally 'te amo' and make a difference in the sense with 'te quiero'. In Spain to say 'te quiero' does not mean 'for my interest or convenience'. It means I love you. It is true that you can say I want you and I love you with the same 'te quiero' but 'te amo' does not sound common or natural in Spanish people. Everybody will understand you of course and this verb is used literature. Just pay attention and you will realise what I say.

Regards.

11. Laurajoana New Member

Spanish, Spain
    I would like to say that in Spain a person say 'te quiero' with the same sense that in hispanoamerica they use more normally 'te amo' and make a difference in the sense. In Spain to say 'te quiero' does not mean 'for my interest or convenience'. It means I love you. It is true that you can say I want you and I love you with the same 'te quiero' but 'te amo' does not sound common or natural in Spanish people. Everybody will understand you of course and this verb is used literature. Just pay attention and you will realise what I say.

Regards.

12. Jhane

Jhane Senior Member

Kingston, UK
    Spanish , Mexico Baja California
    I think the difference between both "te quiero and te amo" is that if you say "te quiero to someone", you feel a kind of love, but it is not very strong, if you have a boyfriend you first say "te quiero" and after getting to know him, maybe you will say "te amo" because the feeling is deep, so you say "te amo" to your family per example, but this feeling takes more time to grow.

I hope my input proves useful and my English understandable.

13. Laurajoana New Member

Spanish, Spain
    No Jhane, it is simple: In Spain we don't say 'te amo' when love is very deep. In Spain we say 'te quiero con toda el alma' 'Te quiero más que a mi vida' 'Te quiero más que a nada en el mundo' 'Te quiero con el amor más profundo y sincero que se pueda imaginar' . But we do not say 'te amo' for a strong love -Spanish people-. 'Te amo' is normally said by latinamerican people and only they make the difference between te quiero y te amo.

14. Jhane

Jhane Senior Member

Kingston, UK
    Spanish , Mexico Baja California
    My Spanish boyfriend says "te amo" is it strange for you? maybe he learnt that from me!. I am not sure now... but he does.

15. Laurajoana New Member

Spanish, Spain
    Yes, he says 'te amo' because he knows it is the way you say it. Regards.

16. LucíayMiguel Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish, Spain
    I totally agree with Laurajoana. You could say "te amo" meaning "I love you", but it sounds strange in Spain. Here we would add all those things that Laurajoana has added to make "te quiero" stronger. You would only hear "te amo" in Spain in films or literature.
    I want you: te deseo
    I love you: te quiero (Spain); te amo (español de América).
    I agree that "te quiero" has all the strength you want to put in it.

17. Heidi Alpizar Senior Member

Spanish - Costa Rica
    I would say that when it comes to using te amo or te quiero,
    what is important is not which of the two words we use because both of them are trying to say that we care for the other person. I would say that the degree of interest (either if it is physical or just pure love) would be settle by
    the circumstances and way we say it. Hope you don´t feel it too poetic but this is the way a see it.

18. el guia Senior Member

south carolina
    english,usa
    Hola-
    Tu me encantas.......te adoro......propuesto para aumentar lo que dijo Laurajoana, pero mas me gustaria oir las palabras de ella.
    regards,
    el guia