I love you, you are my boo-boo!

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Jose Maria, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Jose Maria Senior Member

I live in a place in the high sky called moon. lol
    Granada (España) //// English (GB)
    I don't know how many times I have heard that from my girlfriend and I still don't know what it means exactly. I think it means my darling but in an informal way (american way), so can anyone explain me what it does mean? and a proper translation in spanish? where does it comes from? All the information you can give about it would be appreciatted.
    Thanks in advance.

2. araceli moderadora

Buenos Aires
    Argentine, Spanish
  3. Jose Maria Senior Member

Thank you, Araceli. I got the response for where it comes from and that confirms what I was thinking about. It comes from the Afro-american, so is it the same my boo than my boo-boo? With regards to urban dictionary it says that my boo-boo can mean amazing incredible man and then I would really appreciatte if someone can give a good translation for this expression into spanish. At a first time I got confused because the world boo can mean shit and it is used to express uncontent as well, then I found the other meanings, so does anyone know about a good translation for this word?
    Thank you very much.

4. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    I call my boyfriend "My boo-boo" also. But, for me, "Boo" and "Boo-boo" are totally different.

I actually call my puppy "Boo-boo" as well. :rolleyes: It's simply a cute, loving nickname.

5. Jose Maria Senior Member

Thank you, do you know a good translation in spanish?

6. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Pues, "boo-boo" no tiene una traducción semejante porque de verdad, ¡No es una palabra real en inglés! Creo que lo inventamos para parecer lindo. :p A ver...

Diría que sería como:
    Amorcini / Amorcito
    Lindicito
    Mi corazonito

Cosas así.

7. chico_intelegente New Member

North America / American-English
    >>> A "boo" is a boyfriend or girlfriend. I call a boo-boo a cut or a scrape. So iguess the translation would be: Te amo / Te quiero, tú eres mí novio/novia.

8. bevs15

bevs15 New Member

BARCELONA, SPAIN
    filipino and philippines
    i read that boo-boo is an american slang that means MISTAKE.

9. Limeade Senior Member

English-USA
    Yes, boo boo can be a mistake too--- boo boo has a lot of different meanings. :)

10. Matcauthon

Matcauthon Senior Member

English Canada
    I'm from canada, but we still understand many american sayings, and this happens across north america. From what I know of boo's or boo-boo's. All of the below are slang terms.

BOO!-a sound, often made by children, to try and scare someone (for fun usually)

Boo*-as a boyfriend girlfriend (I have never heard it used this way, but it seems to exist according to previous people)

Boo*-a fictional character, resembling a ghost, in a game I played once. I forget the games name

Boo-Boo-a child's reference, or a reference to a childs, cut, scrape, or other superficial injury

Boo-Boo-A mistake, can be used as "He made a boo-boo"

I might not have gotten all the usuages, and probably didnt, but at least the ones without *'s are quite commonly used in conversation that permits them.

To translate any of these terms, I would read my rough definitions, and then what that makes you think of, is probably what they are.

Jose, for a translation of Boo-Boo being quote "a cute lovable name", what would you call a "cute, lovable" being? The term is slang, so it would be difficult for someone not deeply into spanish-speaking culture to translate.

I hope that helps and doesnt just take up alot of space.

11. Limeade Senior Member

English-USA
    Then there is Yogi Bear and his friend-- Boo Boo (bear) a cartoon character.

Your are thinking of Boo berry cereal-- He was a ghost. It's a play on words-- Boo as in ghost -- the cereal was blueberry.--- Booberry.

12. Matcauthon

Matcauthon Senior Member

English Canada
    After you said that you made me question myself, and there probably is "Boo Berry cereal" but in Mario Party 5 there is a Boo which is a ghost as well, or at least according to a search on google, because I dont ever remember playing that particular game.

Monsters Inc also had a character named Boo apparently, as the same google search said.

edit: this site shows a list of uses for boo as well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boo

13. nelliot53

nelliot53 Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Spanish [PR], English [US]
  14. Revo D Regulus New Member

Myanmar