I married beneath me, all women do

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by malva7, Apr 28, 2009.

1. malva7 Senior Member

Milan
    Italy - Italian
    Hello everybody, can you please explain me the meaning of the following aphorism:" I married beneath me, all women do" (Nancy Astor)

Beneath what?

2. Einstein

Einstein Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    It means "I married someone of a lower social class". She feels that her husband is of a lower class than herself and thinks this is a general habit of upper-class women.

As this is the Italian-English forum, are you looking for a translation? First give us your attempt.

3. malva7 Senior Member

Milan
    Italy - Italian
    Thank you Einstein, it was actually an explanation (or a translation) I was looking for.
    I'm happy I gave no attempt as it would have been censored being my first thoughts oriented towards anatomy...

4. Rosa7

Rosa7 Senior Member

Australia
    English (Australia)
    Einstein, that would be the literal interpretation of "marrying beneath oneself", but I think Nancy Astor is saying (probably jokingly) that her husband is unworthy of her in general (not just because of social class) and that all husbands are unworthy of their wives.

5. Einstein

Einstein Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    You could be right, I know very little about Nancy Astor!

To malva7: the English Only forum would have been the right place for this question because there is no reference to the Italian language (except for the fact that you are Italian!).

6. malva7 Senior Member

Milan
    Italy - Italian
    Well Rosa, with Einsteins help I managed (to get the meaning straight) and answer to the above quotation that a friend of mine had sent me
    " I married beneath me, all women do", they marry a social class and end up with a man in their bed
    :)

7. AshleySarah

AshleySarah Senior Member

Australia
    English - N.Ireland
    I agree with you Rosa. Nancy Astor was a very witty woman, and was also a feminist. She had a habit of shocking and entertaining people by saying some outlandish things. Her quip about all women marrying beneath them would have been typical of her.