I/me: She is taller than <I am, me>.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Lisa Huang, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Lisa Huang Junior Member

Taiwan, ROC
    (1) She is taller than me.
    (2) She is taller than I am.

Are both setences correct?

: i or me
  2. Yes, both are correct.

3. Conchita57

Conchita57 Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Spanish - Spain/French - Switzerland
    Still, some will tell you that the first is ungrammatical (which it is, too!), even though it's very widely used.

4. I am not sure it is, Conchita. At best, I would suspect the difference lies in the degree of formality. Any confirmations?

5. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    You will commonly hear "She is taller than me," but it improper English.

In this construction, the verb "to be" is understood. Thus you are saying: She is taller than me is," which should be obviously incorrect.

6. I think though, it has become so common that it will soon begin to be considered fairly acceptable even by linguists.

7. audiolaik

audiolaik Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Hello,

As far as I remember, both forms are mentioned and considered to be correct in most grammar books, at least the ones I've used.

Hope it helps!

8. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    This is one of the frequently-raised topics listed in the sticky at the top of the page. The link given in the sticky is to this very long previous thread, in which several threads have been merged.

9. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Thanks Loob. For those who don't have time to read all ten pages of posts in that thread, here is an axle around which some may choose to wrap themselves:

Source: Post #154

10. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I've read all ten pages of the linked thread, cuchu, (honest!), and I agree with you that the key issue is the one raised in post 154 (also in post 16): is 'than' is being used as a conjunction :)arrow: he is taller than I [am]) or a preposition :)arrow: he is taller than me)?

I also think post 156 is important: referring to corpus-based analyses, it suggests that:

(1) in conversation, the only possibility is "than me";

(2) in fiction, you'll find both "than I" and "than me";

(3) in news and academic prose, writers frequently opt for a full comparative clause "than I am", thereby avoiding the {problematical} choice between "than I" and "than me".''

Lisa Huang: both your sentences are correct.

11. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Right you are, so some will scramble to grab the nearest dictionary to prove whichever side of the argument they may prefer. Those of a very strict prescriptivist bent, who hang their hats on the conjunction argument: Spare yourselves heartburn and avoid the OUP site. The Compact Oxford English Dictionary is ambidextrous on the issue:

Random House Unabridged (primarily AE) will also support both arguments:

The accompanying Usage Note clearly favors the subject pronoun, but allows for the object pronoun in informal circumstances, which I take to include the majority of all human speech.

12. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    I hope you mean that the form most probable or most frequently heard in conversation is "than me".

I use "than" as a conjunction in ordinary speech (=than I) and hear others do so as well.