1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I miss you or I missed you?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by mega21, Apr 9, 2011.

1. mega21 Junior Member

Persian
    Hello everyone!
    I want to know which of these is better to use in the following context:
    I get to see my close friend after a long time and then I want to let him know that while he was gone, I had a feeling to see him sooner.so which one is correct:
    1. I miss you
    2. I missed you
    Personally I choose option number 2 because he is in front of me now and I don't feel his absence anymore. Which one you will say? Thanks.

2. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    I agree with you. The past tense indicates that now you are reunited.

3. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    You're right: you should use past tense.

4. mega21 Junior Member

Persian
    Thank you guys. Now I'm sure.

5. AliBadass

AliBadass Senior Member

IRAN
    persian
    But I've heard ''I miss you'' in the present tense a lot. Why is that native guys? I mean, in your movies you use this form of ''miss you'' (present tense) more than others.

Like when the son of a family is going to go on a trip, his mother will hug him and say: ''Oh honey, I miss you'' instead of saying ''Oh honey, I'm going to miss you''.

Or in another situation, two friends which have not seen one another for a long time, while speaking on the phone they would say: ''Hey buddy, I miss you'' instead of ''Hey buddy, I've missed you''.

Why am I confused? Is the verb ''miss'' exceptional or something?

6. Florentia52 Modwoman in the attic

Wisconsin
    English - United States
    What is probably being said is "I'll miss you," and you're not hearing the "ll" sound. "I miss you" here would be incorrect.

If you are speaking with someone on the phone and you want to express to them how you are currently feeling, "I miss you" is perfectly correct.

7. AliBadass

AliBadass Senior Member

IRAN
    persian
    Thank you. But that's what I don't get. Why would that be correct? What would the difference be then when you say ''I miss you every day''?

8. Florentia52 Modwoman in the attic

Wisconsin
    English - United States
    I'm not sure what is confusing you about this usage. If I say "I want a cup of coffee," that indicates something I want right now. If I say "I want a cup of coffee every day," that indicates my habitual behavior/wants. We use the present tense for both purposes.

9. AliBadass

AliBadass Senior Member

IRAN
    persian
    Thank you. But aren't these two sentences different to you? A) I have written your name. B) I write your name. And let's say ''A'' is like ''I have missed you'' and ''B'' is ''I miss you''. What would be the difference?

When would you use ''I have missed you''?

10. Florentia52 Modwoman in the attic

Wisconsin
    English - United States
    I would use the present perfect if I wanted to express that the time of missing the person had now ended, presumably because we have been reunited. Here's a short thread on the same question: I've missed you / I miss you...

It would be the same with "I hate you" (as opposed to "I have hated you,") or any other stative verb.