I must / have to visit a sick friend

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Luceni, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Luceni Senior Member

Aragón, Spain
    European Spanish
    Hola foreros:

No me acabo de aclarar con las diferencias entre must / have to.

Por ejemplo, en esta frase no sé cuál está mejor.

I must / have to visit a sick friend.

He visto en google que "have to" gana por goleada. Pero tengo una gramática donde dicen: "Must is normally used when the speaker personally feels the necessity, have to when the necessity is outside the speaker".

2. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    My try

I must = debo, me veo obligado a

I have to = tengo que

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  3. grahamcracker Senior Member

English-TEXAS
    They could be used more or less interchangeably in this context.

4. chamyto

chamyto Senior Member

Burgos, Spain
    Spanish
    Hola, Biffo está en lo cierto en este caso, pero sin algo más de contexto no te podríamos dar una respuesta adecuada, ya que el español no es tan "cerrado" como el inglés en este aspecto.

5. pmaka06 Senior Member

No estoy de acuerdo con esta explicación. 'I have to' puede llevar el mismo sentido.

I have to go visit him because he's feeling very lonely and isolated so I feel a personal obligation to see him in order to make him feel better.

'Must' puede ser utilizado también para expresar el mismo sentido pero creo que se usa 'have to' más. 'Must' se usa de una manera más formal o menos 'americano' :).

Let me add something that just occurred to me. When I talk about 'him', 'her', 'them', I would say 'must' more than 'have to':

He must be feeling lonely.
    They must have felt like they had to do it.
    She must obligated.
    I have to go see him because he must be feeling lonely.

'Have to' can also be used in all of the above phrases but 'must' is used much more.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2013
  6. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    En el caso de visitar a un amigo enfermo, la obligación es personal porque mi propio amigo se ha enfermado y quiero ser buen amigo.

7. pmaka06 Senior Member

'Have to' expresa la obligación perfectamente y tengo que aclarar mis palabras arriba (personal obligation!). I would say he/she/they...has to/have to visit desde una obligación personal. 'Must' puede ser usado también pero 'have to' es más común. Los cuatro ejemplos arriba son de un sentido distinto.

8. juan082937 Senior Member

español
    I must es tener que (sin falta) un amigo del alma está enfermo en la Clínica y he tenido la intención de ir a verlo, pero he estado muy ocupado, y ya van varios días entonces dices :
    There is a certain URGE to visit my friend
    Tengo que visitar sin falta a mi amigo hoy ( friendship obligation).
    I must visit my friend today
    If you work with a Company, the same sense, Tengo que llamar a mi jefe sin falta hoy, pues se me dañó el carro. My boss will get angry if I don´t do that and he could fire me if I don´t do that.
    It sense certain urge and fear to be punished.

Tengo que is less urgent than must.

9. Wildcat1 Senior Member

Amer. English
    It's not because you're talking about "him", "her", etc. that you use "must" here. Note that it's perfectly natural to use "have to" with these same persons:
    He has to do it if he wants to get paid.
    She had to leave in order to meet her friend.

The reason why "must" is so natural in the sentences you give is that this is a different "must".

"must 1" = have to = have an obligation to
    "must 2" = it is to be expected that, it must be the case that

Ex. of "must 1"
    He must go to school today or he will be suspended (= he has to go ...)

Ex. of "must 2"
    He must go to school - he knows so much! (= it must be the case that he goes to school)

So for "must 1" it's more colloquial to use "have to", but "must" is OK. "must 2" is fully colloquial, and is usually not replaced by "have to".

10. pmaka06 Senior Member

You are absolutely right. After I sent my reply I realized the examples I was using were of a different context, not a good feeling when you're trying to help someone with usable and correct information. Then I started thinking about how nuanced things can get when you delve into the whole 'should, would, could, might, must' and their related expressions realm.

Thank you for clarifying, Wildcat1.