I only speak a little Spanish

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by lenaw, Apr 21, 2005.

1. lenaw New Member

California
    USA - English
    Hi! I'm new to this site and love it already! I hope I'm posting in the correct place. I appologize if I am not. Please feel free to redirect me.

My question is: How do you say, in Spanish: "I only speak a little spanish." I'm guessing: "Yo hablo solamente un pocito espanol." ??
    (Como se dice, en espanol: "I only speak a little spanish.")

I find myself having to say this very often and yet, because I can pernounce and understand spanish better than I can speak it, I also often have to ask others to repeat themselves and slow down. Would this also be correct: "Repetan por favor pero, mas despacio."

Ok, that should allow me to continue to get by a little longer. :) I really just need to speak spanish more often with others in order to become more comfortable and learn more. I know - emersion, right? Thanks in advance!

2. Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
    Welcome lenaw:
    I'd say : solo hablo un poquito de español.
    Note spelling of 'poquito'. When you say 'hablo' there's no need to say 'yo'...since this is conveyed in 'hablo'

3. esance

esance Senior Member

Hello lenaw and Welcome to the Forums!!

Solo hablo un poco de español
    Hablo poco español
    Solo hablo un poquito de/en español

Repita por favor, pero más despacio
    Podría repetirlo más despacio por favor

More suggestions, pls?

4. lenaw New Member

California
    USA - English
    Thanks Masood and Esance! You guys are great! Masood, I don't know WHAT I was thinking w/ that "yo" thing. I correct my english speaking friends saying the same thing that you did ("yo" is understood... that was Jr. High Spanish class and review Sophmore year in highschool). I think my brain turned off for a moment while trying to be specific about what to type and post without sounding too dumb. It backfired. :eek: Thanks again!

Ok, this is fun. Another question, then: Is "que undas" pretty out of date in saying "what's up?" (Don't laugh)

5. Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
    Hi Lenaw,
    I know you're new, but I need to point out that separate 'threads' should be used for (new) questions not relating to the original thread title...something to bear in mind for future posts.

I'm not Spanish, but I think you mean 'qué andas'. I normally hear '¿Cómo andas?' and this is well used.

Masood

6. lenaw New Member

California
    USA - English
    Thanks Masood! Will do. Goodnight!

7. jmx

jmx Senior Member

Barcelona
    Spain / incorrect Spanish
    I have a vague idea that it is mexican slang. I searched for "qué undas" in Google, and most ocurrences where misspellings of "que hundas", but others looked like slang by mexican-americans.

8. mariaelenaec

mariaelenaec New Member

I have for sure that really is "que ondas", this is a slang that teenagers in Mexico and Central America use to say instead "hola" when they see some friend, it the same when you in English say "what's up"

9. moysez New Member

Spanish
    i'm from tijuana mexico, and the correct way is"Que onda" , slang way to say how you doing, hello,whats up,see u
    moisescc

10. La tia Tata Junior Member

Ezeiza, al sur de Buenos Aires
    spanish (argentino)
    En Argentina decimos:
    Que tal?
    o
    Cómo andás?
    o
    Cómo te va?