I picked/registered for all my classes for next semester and made a perfect schedule.

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by Kos, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Kos

Kos Senior Member

Cześć wszystkim

I've been having some trouble translating school related phrases to Polish. At my university, class registration takes place in the fall and spring. During specific dates, students go online and web-register for classes. The courses are offered at different times, so students choose the times most convenient for them. It is usually said that a student "makes a (class) schedule." So far, I think the phrase "plan zajęć" or "rozkład zajęć" is the closest translation to "course/class schedule". My other guess would be "plan lekcji", but I'm not quite sure what the difference is between "leckje" and "zajęcia" in Polish. Maybe "plan przedmiotów" would be better?

As an example, at my university, many students say things along the lines of:
    Yesterday I picked/registered for all my classes for next semester and made a perfect schedule.

My attempt:
    Wczoraj była rejestracja (były zapisy?). Wybrałem / Zapisałem się na przedmioty(zajęcia?) obowiązkowe na nastepny semestr i w końcu dobrze mi wyszedł plan/rozkład zajęć.

I didn't get the classes I wanted, now my schedule is inconvenient/awkward. (I won’t even attempt this haha)

If any native speaker could tell me what was usually said at his/her university in regards to a “class schedule”, that would be awesome. Can one “make” a schedule in Polish? Also, if someone could explain the difference between zajęcie, lekcja, and przedmiot to me, I would be really grateful.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  2. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Your proposals look ok to me. Only the word "lekcja" is out of place at a university. It's used at school (primary to secondary). The university students are keen to use different vocabulary to mark that they are adult.
    Lekcja= a lesson (to learn or teach)
    Lekcja = a period of 45 minutes at primary or secondary school, when the teacher tells pupils the stuff and asks questions.
    Student= a university student (never below that level)
    Student= badacz, somebody studying a subject
    Przedmiot= subject (like mathematics, geography)
    Zajęcia = lectures and tutorials (always plural). In singular zajęcie is an occupation
    Nauczyciel= teacher, only primary and secondary schools
    Uczeń= pupil, student, only as above
  3. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    I use 'plan'. The full version is 'plan zajęć' and it is used at my university. 'plan lekcji' is in primary or secondary school. 'plan zajęć' can be used for all educational institutions. In spoken Polish we usually just say 'plan': Jaki masz plan?; Mam dobry plan w tym semestrze.

I'd say:
    Wczoraj była rejestracja. Zapisałem się na wszystkie zajęcia na nowy semestr. Ułożyłem sobie/Mam całkiem dobry/niezły plan.

Nie mogłem się zapisać na (wszystkie) zajęcia, na które chciałem. Mam kiepski plan.
    I think I'd change the order a little:
    Mam kiepski plan, (bo) nie mogłem się zapisać na (wszyskie) zajęcia, na które chciałem.

We say 'ułożyć plan' for 'make a schedule'.

This is what it looks like to me in colloquial Polish: I only have 'zajęcia' at my uni. When I still went to primary/secondary school, I had 'lekcje' or 'zajęcia'. 'Zajęcia' is a broader term (and it's used in plural in this context even if you have just one class: Muszę się zwijać, mam zaraz zajęcia. -- I've got to be getting on; I've got a calss soon.).
    Perhaps, 'zajęcia' could be closer to English 'class', whereas 'lekcja' to 'lesson'? 'przedmiot' is 'subject'.

I think it's the first time I've come across 'student' meaning 'badacz', though, it is possible given that 'studiować' can mean 'badać'. Is it common?

'nauczyciel' can also work at univeristy. We even have a term 'nauczyciel akademicki'.
  4. Ben Jamin Senior Member

I meet this usage of the word frequently in the texts I read.
    Here you have a quote from Merriam Webster:

Definition of STUDENT
    1 : scholar, learner; especially: one who attends a school
    2 : one who studies : an attentive and systematic observer <a student of politics>

'nauczyciel akademicki' yes, (normally only in formal language) but not 'nauczyciel' without that qualification. This term is reserved for one working in a primary or secondary school.
  5. Kos

Kos Senior Member

Thank you both for the help. Your answers were exactly what I was looking for!
  6. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    I meant the Polish word. Do you come acoss it in Polish texts?

I've just looked 'student' up in dictionary by Doroszewski, which gives two definitions of the word 'student'. One is someone who studies at university. The other one is, surprisingly, a pupil ('uczeń szkolny') tagged [daw. dziś reg.]. The dictionary gives, among others, the following sample: Skończyły się wakacje, wracali do gimnazjum studenci. Skiba Poziom. 20.
  7. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Sorry for confusing the readers! Student in this line represented of course the English meaning, it was meant as an explanation of how to translate the English word to Polish, but I formulated it the wrong way. Must have been absent minded for the moment.