I put and put my homework on the table and I cannot do it.

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by paradoxa4, Dec 29, 2012.

1. paradoxa4

paradoxa4 Senior Member

A friend of mine wrote that sentence. She meant: "I put and put my Japanese homework on the table and I cannot do it" (She meant, that she could not do it because there was too much homework)

She knows that she is wrong, I told her that I could solve her doubt in this forum and also I can learn from the explanation, too.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  2. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Surprisingly, it's correct if she's going to mean:
    She puts homework on the table (because she's made up her mind to start soon), but she can't (because its quantity makes her reluctant). She can't do/start how many times she puts it on the table-it's emphasis.
  3. paradoxa4

paradoxa4 Senior Member

Interesting, thanks for answering.
  4. Yatalu

Yatalu Junior Member

Dutch (Flanders)
    To add up to what frequency said (which I completely agree to), I think ~ても~ても is indeed to emphasize how much effort is put into trying (probably several times). I think words like もっともっと or ゆっくりゆっくり (and some other gitaigo) are sometimes used for the same purpose c:
  5. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    I am still wondering what "put and put my Japanese homework on the table" would mean. Are there many assignments from your Japanese course and you cannot finish them all? Or is there a single Japanese assignment and you cannot finish it because there are many other assignments?

By the way, "put on the table" is an idiomatic English expression and a literal Japanese equivalent does not convey the nuance of adding something to one's to-do-list.