I really appreciate your patience and your support

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by demolitiondame, Mar 11, 2008.

1. demolitiondame New Member

Montréal
    English/Canada
    In a thank-you letter, does this phrase make sense?

I'm trying to say:
    I really appreciate your patience and your support not only in writing the letters, but also in being a professor and thesis advisor whose advice has been invaluable.

Apprezzo moltissimo la tua pazienza ed il tuo appoggio non solo nello scrivere le lettere ma anche nell'essere un professore e un relatore di cui il consiglio è inestimabile.

Grazie!

2. underhouse Senior Member

In my opinion, something in the English phrase doesn't quite add up:

first you say: "I really appreciate your patience and your support not only in writing the letters" and so far so good!

Then you say: "but also in being a professor and thesis advisor whose advice has been invaluable", that is

I really appreciate your patience and your support (first sentence) in being a professor and thesis advisor whose advice has been invaluable (the two sentences are not connected in my opinion).

Do you see my point?

3. demolitiondame New Member

Montréal
    English/Canada
    I see your point.

Does this make more sense?
    Apprezzo moltissimo la tua pazienza ed il tuo appoggio non solo nello scrivere le lettere ma anche nell'essere un professore e un relatore. Il tuo consiglio è inestimabile.

So then I'm trying to say,
    I really appreciate your patience and support not only in writing the letters but in being a professor and advisor. Your advice has been invaluable.

Thank you for any suggestions!

4. MarcoAbroad Junior Member

Sydney, Australia
    Italian - Venice
    You can't make this sentence in Italian, because it doesn't make sense "avere pazienza e supporto nell'essere un professore etc..." You should say "Apprezzo infinitamente la pazienza e l'appoggio che mi stai dimostrando. Queste qualità fanno di te un professore ed un relatore il cui consiglio è inestimabile." This a high-Italian way of conveying your meaning.
    I hope you know that almost nobody in Italy addresses professor with "tu". If you find a so easy-going Italian professor, you're fortunate, believe me.