1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I see = I understand?

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Outsider, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Does your language have this idiom?

Portuguese does. The progressive form of the verb is normally used, estou a ver or estou vendo (I'm seeing).

English obviously has the idiom "I see". What about other languages?

Thanks in advance.

2. linguist786 Senior Member

Blackburn, England
    English, Gujarati & Urdu
    Not in Urdu, Hindi or Gujarati.

3. modus.irrealis Senior Member

Toronto
    English, Canada
    The "to know" word in some of the ancient Indo-European languages (Greek οἶδα, Sanskrit veda) as well as in the Germanic languages (German wissen), and probably many others I'm unaware of, are transparently related to the original word for "to see" and probably originally meant something like "I am in the state of seeing" or "I see".

4. tigger_uhuhu

tigger_uhuhu Senior Member

mexico city
    spanish-mx ct
    Yes.
    In Mexican Spanish "ya veo".
    Cheers.

5. dn88 Senior Member

pl
    I'm afraid it doesn't work in Polish - we usually say "rozumiem", which literally means "I understand".

6. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    Romanian: A bit more complicated :D
    We use "înţeleg" = I understand

But, in some contexts, also I see ("văd")

Încep să văd (I'm starting to see/understand)
    O, acum văd [ce vrei să spui]! (Oh, now I see [what you mean]!)
    Acum văd totul clar. (Now I fully comprehend it)

7. Dr. Quizá

Dr. Quizá Senior Member

Esuri - Huelva York.
    Spain - Western Andalusian Spanish.
    I think the same goes for all dialects.

"Ya veo" is "I already see", though.

8. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Or "Now I understand", more idiomatically. But that's alright. It counts, too. ;)

9. Etcetera

Etcetera Senior Member

St Petersburg, Russia
    Russian, Russia (St Petersburg)
    It is so in Russian.:)

The phrase Я вижу / Ya vizhu, which means "I see", can be used in the meaning "I understand".

10. ukuca

ukuca Senior Member

Istanbul - Turkey
    Turkish - Turkey
    Not In Turkish, I suppose we just use anlamak (v) > anladım (to understand > I understand ) except the slangs.

11. MarX Senior Member

Indonesian, Indonesia
    Not in Indonesian.

12. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    Not in Finnish, except in some very special cases ("only now I see what was your idea...").

Instead, "minä näen" (I see) is sometimes used as "in my opinion" but you can only hear it from politicians and similar speakers.

13. irene.acler Senior Member

Trento - Italy
    Italiano
    Not in Italian.

I understand = I see --> "capisco" (the verb is "capire").

14. jaxlarus

jaxlarus Senior Member

Limassol (Λέμε...SOS)
    Greek, Gibreiga (EL-CY)
    Are you sure that βλέπω > είδα and οίδα are related to one another? They seem to be, but I always wondered about it.

Concerning I see / I understand in modern Greek:

They can't be used interchangeably.

I see - βλέπω

I understand - καταλαβαίνω

15. Nanon

Nanon Senior Member

French - "je vois".

16. modus.irrealis Senior Member

Toronto
    English, Canada
    Not βλέπω, but the other two are connected in every source I've read. εἶδον and οἶδα have the same relationship (in terms of ablaut) that ἔλιπον and λέλοιπα have. Basically εἶδον (stem ἰδ-) is the aorist and οἶδα is the perfect of the same root which was originally *weid-, and there's even a present tense εἴδομαι which matches the ablaut of λείπω. (The same root is seen in Latin video 'to see').

17. Joannes Senior Member

Antwerp
    Belgian Dutch
    Not in Dutch, except maybe in some idiomatic expressions. We do have phrasal inzien 'see, understand' though.

18. VivaReggaeton88

VivaReggaeton88 Senior Member

Santa Ana, Costa Rica / New York, NY
    US/EEUU; English/Inglés
    Spanish: Ya veo / Lo veo ya : Now I see (understand).

19. Zahrah Senior Member

Nanon,

Et "je comprends", c´est correcte aussi, non? Pour dire la même chose que I understand / (Eu) compreendo?

Bises,

Zahrah

20. noncasper

noncasper Senior Member

Chino - China - Hong Kong
    In Vietnamese:
    I see/understand : Tôi thấy/hiểu rồi

21. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    It doesn't work in this case, and is not much used in this meaning, but there are some instances where you can use widzieć (to see) in the sense to understand:
    Ja widzę to tak (I see it this way).

Tom

22. jana.bo99

jana.bo99 Senior Member

Slovenia
    Cro, Slo
    Croatian

A bit complicated:

I see - Vidim

I understand - Razumijem.

Vidim i razumijem: could be good, but we don't use it.

23. tie-break Senior Member

Absolument ! :thumbsup:
    C'est correct aussi ;)

24. Tjahzi

Tjahzi Senior Member

Umeå, Sweden
    Swedish (Göteborg)
    It does not work in Swedish.

However, the Swedish verb "to understand" has gotten a shorter, more colloquial form. (Which might be considered an alternative sollution to adopting "to see" as way to describe "understand.)

25. timesofmist New Member

Estonian
    As in Scandinavian languages, are ''I see'' and ''I see'' in Estonian (of Finnish-Ugric origin) also two different phrases. One of them - ''ma näen'' applies only as an psychical activity - ''I look, therefore I see.'' For ''I understand'' there's a different form, ''ma mõistan.''
    That's pretty much it.

26. Lugubert Senior Member

Göteborg
    Swedish
    Dutch := Swedish, inzien := inse.
    In case you aren't familiar with Algol, := means 'substitute the latter for the former'.

27. Nizo Senior Member

In Esperanto, the correct way to say "I understand" is mi komprenas. One may use the phrase mi vidas, which means "to see," in some circumstances, such as the phrase mi ne vidas la signifon de tio, "I don't see (understand) the meaning of that."

28. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Ditto for Panjabi.

29. Juri Senior Member

Koper, near Trieste
    italian/Slovenia
    When somebody explains something in Italy,
    it's normal to replay capisco (I understand);
    but also vedo,vedo ( I see ) is quite colloquial.

30. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    Wissen might be etymologically related to videre but sehen (to see) is not. And the German word for understand is not wissen but verstehen. At any rate the etymological relation between wissen and videre is not transparent to modern speakers.

31. yannalan Senior Member

france, french, breton
    Bonjour
    Ce n'est pas tout à fait pareil. On peut comprendre quelque chose, mais "je vois" dasn ce sens est une réponse à une explication, pour dire qu'on a compris. Dans ce sens on peut dire aussi "je comprends"
    Mias dans "je comprends le portugais", on ne peut pas remplacer par "je vois"
    J'espère avori été clair, autrement dis-le moi
    A plus.

32. Mahaodeh Senior Member

Arabic and English
    In Arabic, I see can not be used for I understand, but it can be used for "it's my opinion" as it metaphorically means "I see with my mind".

33. bb3ca201 Senior Member

Toronto sa Chanada
    English/Scottish Gaelic, Canada
    in Gaelic / anns a’ Ghàidhlig
    If we use the verb “to see” - a’ faicinn - we are talking about something that we actually see. If we want to say “I understand”, we have to say exactly that – tha mi a’ tuigsinn.

34. chriskardos Junior Member

Budapest, Hungary
    Hungary, Hungarian
    in Hungarian:
    I Understand - Értem.

35. Consimmer Junior Member

New Jersey, USA
    Malaysia, English and Malay Language
    In Malay (Bahasa Indonesia's cousin), we would use the idiom "Macam tu, ya?". That phrase could be translated as "It's like that [now that you've shown it], yes?"

36. Quelle

Quelle Senior Member

Deutschland Deutsch
    Look here:
    Old High German: wizzan*
    Language: ahd.
    Grammar: Pr„t.-Pr„s.
    Translation (German): wissen, kennen, verstehen, erfahren (V.), erkennen, begreifen, jemanden als jemanden erkennen, wissen von
    Translation (English): know, understand, recognize
    Etymology: germ. *weitan (1), *w–tan, Pr„t.-Pr„s., sehen, wissen

And here:

Das Wort “Wissen” ist etymologisch eng verwandt mit “Sehen, Wahrnehmen” (ind. veda = Wissen, aber auch Geschautes, Offenbartes; lat. videre = sehen, wahrnehmen).
    I try to translate:
    Etymologically the word „Wissen (=to know)” is closely allied with “Sehen (=to see), Wahrnehmen (=to perceive, to be aware of)” [Indian: veda= Wissen (=to know), but also “Geschautes, Offenbartes (looked, revealed); Latin: videre= to see, to be aware of/perceive)

37. Proudly New Member

Toronto, Canada
    English (Canada) and Russian (Moscow)
    Ouais c'est pareil en anglais (et en russe mais on s'en fout), je crois que c'est exactement de ça qu'on parle ici.

38. Bienvenidos

Bienvenidos Senior Member

USA
    Afghanistan/USA
    Nope, they're not the same in Persian. But there are other expressions that mean "to understand."

I understand is usually used in the past tense: "Fâmidam"
    You don't say "Mifâmam," that means something along the lines of "I know"

39. Maewa New Member

Varna
    Bulgaria
    In bulgarian "I see" can't be used as "I understand."
    разбирам (razbiram) = I understand
    виждам (vijdam) = I see
    But I don't know, maybe in some situations people may use it. I think the meaning is closer to "I know."
    You can use "I see" to tell that an example:
    I see / know you don't trust me. - Виждам , че не ми вярваш.

40. knight_2004 Junior Member

Arabic
    In Arabic:
    In MSA (Written Arabic), I see = Ara (أرى)
    "Ara" literally means "I see [with my eyes]," but it is commonly used to say "My opinion is ..."

In spoken (Levantine[SIZE=-1]) [/SIZE]Arabic, "Shayef" (شايف)= "I see [with my eyes]," and it is commonly used to say 'I understand.'
    "Shayef?" also means "Do you understand?"

Levantine is an Arabic dialect (Eastern Arabic) spoken in Jordan, Palestine, Syria and Lebanon.

41. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Spoken Arabic varies from a country to another, so please don't forget to say which country you have in mind when speaking about colloquial Arabic. :)

This meaning of "shayef" is not true in Egypt, it only has the meanings of "I see" and "my opinion is".

42. knight_2004 Junior Member

Arabic
    Thank you for your note cherine.
    I went back and edited my previous comment.

43. Mahaodeh Senior Member

Arabic and English
    I have to disagree about this as well even in Levantine Arabic; although sometimes an experession like "shayef keef?" شايف كيف؟ may mean something like "do you see/understand how?" (even this is not exactly understand; it's much closer to see than understand), shayef does not mean I understand, rather it is more widely accepted as I see and/or my opinion is. An example would be "ana shayef ino ni3mil kaza" أنا شايف انو نعمل كذا means: I see/It's my opinion/I think that we do so and so. Or, inta shoo shayef? إنت شو شايف؟ (what do you think?/what is your opinion?)

44. knight_2004 Junior Member

Arabic
    Well.. the Levantine Arabic is full of expressions:

Examples:
    شايف عليّ ؟
    شايف شلون ؟
    Both examples do not mean "What's your opinion?" because the answer is usually "yes," "no," "shayef," or a head movement, etc. So, the speaker would continue talking; as if he says, "do you see so far?"
    If it were an opinion rather than understand, then it would be a complete quetion.

45. knight_2004 Junior Member

Arabic

There is a song for Abdel-Halim Hafez. He says:
    إنت شايف الحب كلة عيون وهمس ....
    إلى أن يصل ليقول لكن أنا شايف أحلى كلام عشاق ....

I could be mistaken, and the words of the song may not be Egyptian originally, and the words may not be commonly used in Egypt (you can elaborate on that.)

My understanding of the words "Shayef" above (especially the 2nd one) is not "my opinion is" it is more like "my understanding" or that how I see love.

If the words of the song are not from Egyptian dialect, please disregard this post.

46. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    It doesn't work in Czech nor in Hungarian.

47. pitty_pittu New Member

Mexican Spanish
    En español se usan como sinónimos
    ya veo o
    entiendo

48. mcibor Senior Member

I would say, that in Polish, as in Finnish we can say:

Ach, teraz widzę o co ci chodzi - now I see what you mean.

But it's used only in special cases.

49. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I think 'Ik zie wat je bedoelt' implies that, but we do not simply use 'zien'in that meaning in general, although indeed inzien, overzien, etc. refer to seeing as part of understanding (as a matter of fact, see the thread I once started about that: light is one of the typical metaphors). See : http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=878087&highlight=verklaren.

50. Mahaodeh Senior Member

Arabic and English
    Actually, I don't undestand the word shayif here as either my opinion is nor my understanding is; I understanding as simply "I see" - the translation would be: "I see the most beautiful lovers' speech/talk".