I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as...

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by SeekingJesus, Mar 17, 2013.

1. SeekingJesus

SeekingJesus Senior Member

Estado de México
    Español mexicano
    Hello people!
    I'm trying to translate this great phrase written by novelist Charlotte Brontë, and can't figure out how to translate to Spanish the part in bold letters:

“Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong!. I have as much soul as you, and full as much heart! And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you. I am not talking to you now through the medium of custom, conventionalities, nor even of mortal flesh: it is my spirit that addresses your spirit; just as if both had passed through the grave, and we stood at God's feet, equal — as we are!” Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre (1847).

My try is: "Y si Dios me hubiera dotado de algo de belleza y una gran fortuna, habría tenido tan difícil como para ti el dejarme, como lo es ahora para mí el dejarte..."
    Please, correct me.

Thank you in advance

2. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    ¿habría hecho?

3. micafe

micafe Senior Member

United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    "... habría sido tan dificil para ti dejarme como lo es ahora para mí el dejarte"

4. SeekingJesus

SeekingJesus Senior Member

Estado de México
    Español mexicano
    Oh! Creo que tu traducción es muy buena micafe,
    Gracias!

5. SydLexia Senior Member

London
    UK, English
    "....(yo) habría hecho que fuera tan dificil para ti dejarme como lo es ahora para mí el dejarte a tí"

syd