I think/I don't think

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Mayoide, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Mayoide Senior Member

Me gustaría saber si las dos opciones son correctas:
    I don't think it will rain tomorrow.
    I think it won't rain tomorrow.

Tenía entendido que la primera opción es la correcta, pero también he visto la segunda. ¿Se puede decir de las dos maneras?

2. chamyto

chamyto Senior Member

Burgos, Spain
    Es como en español:

No creo que llueva mañana.
    Creo que no lloverá mañana.
  3. kayokid

kayokid Senior Member

English, USA
    In my opinion, the first option is the overwhelming favorite. The second one sounds extremely awkward to me.
  4. JennyTW Senior Member

Córdoba, Spain
    English - UK
    I wouldn't say that, certainly not in BrE. It sounds fine to me, although I agree it would be quite a lot less common.
  5. gengo

gengo Senior Member

I wouldn't go quite so far as to say it sounds awkward, but the first one is used so much more often that the second sounds a bit unusual. It is quite correct grammatically, however.
  6. duvija

duvija Senior Member

Spanish - Uruguay
    It's called 'negative raising'. The most "logical" is the second one (is not true that 'you don't think', because you do), but languages have their own logic. You raise the negation up to the auxiliary verb, and it's more common than the 'logical' version.
  7. levmac

levmac Senior Member

No longer here.
    It's definitely the case that Spanish speakers of Spanish overuse structures like "I think I won't..." where a native would use "I don't think I will"
  8. James2000 Senior Member

English - South Africa
  9. gengo

gengo Senior Member

I had never thought about the logic, but you're right. Very interesting.

That is a very cool website!