I thought I turned off the TV before I went to the bathroom. Oh well.

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by tippyturtle91, Jan 11, 2009.

1. tippyturtle91 New Member

Ohio
    English - America
    Hello everyone! This is my first post here and I need your help. I'm working on a french project for school and I'm having a hard time figuring out a good translation for the following phrase:

"Hmm. I thought I turned off the TV before I went to the bathroom. Oh well."

My try: "Ah, je pensais que j'avais éteint la télé avant que j'ai utilisé les toilettes. Tant pis."

Am I close? Thanks so much!

2. kerzi New Member

Francais - France
    We might say: "Je pensais avoir éteint la télé avant d'aller aux toilettes."
    So you're close :)

3. tippyturtle91 New Member

Ohio
    English - America
    Thanks! I was trying to use the "plus-que-parfait" tense, though. Would it not really work in this context?

4. kerzi New Member

Francais - France
    Well, if you say "Ah, je pensais que j'avais éteint la télé avant d'aller aux toilettes" imo it sounds very good

5. tippyturtle91 New Member

Ohio
    English - America
    Thank you very much! =)

6. annz New Member

English
    Is the "tant pis" correct? I thought it was used by the responder to say "Too bad!", but can it also be used by the storyteller to say (resignedly) "oh well"?

7. Glasguensis

Glasguensis Signal Modulation

Versailles
    English - Scotland
    In addition to "too bad", it can be used to mean "oh well", "never mind", "what a shame", etc.

8. annz New Member

English
    Thanks! Since I don't hear many informal French conversations, I have trouble with things like this. This forum is very helpful, though.