I thought she worked in a hospital

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by skayderade, Feb 9, 2013.

1. skayderade Junior Member

English-Chinese
    Hi!

Can anyone please tell me how to translate the sentence: "I thought she worked in a hospital?"
    I'm a bit unsure as to which tense I should use.
    Pensé/Pensaba que tu marido trabajaba/trabajó en un hospital'

I think it's the characters in bold, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Thank you!

2. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    Hello Skayderade,
    First of all, if you are talking about "she", it can't be "tu marido" because that means "your husband" but I expect that was only a typing mistake.
    Back to your main question: I think the most likely phrase is with Pensaba and trabajaba = I thought until now/until I was corrected that your husband worked (= was working during the time I believed this) at a hospital.
    However, if I only had a passing thought at a particular moment, I think Pensé would be acceptable.
    And if your husband had stopped working by the time I had that thought, maybe trabajó would also make sense.
    But please wait for some expert opinions.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  3. Keahi Senior Member

España
    castellano, Perú
    Hi.
    In this case, both are corrects but with different mean.
    "Pensé que ella trabajó en un hospital" In a specific moment I thought that she worked... ( but she leaves do it).
    "Pensaba que ella trabajaba en un hospital" I thought until this moment that she worked ... (but I didn't know that it's not true).
    A curiosity of the languages​​, the two sentences have the same English translation.
    Please correct me if I've made mistakes. Thanks.
    Kisses for all.

4. donbeto

donbeto Senior Member

Vancouver (Canada)
    Eng (Canada)

5. Keahi Senior Member

España
    castellano, Perú
    Thank you so much.
    Kisses kisses.

6. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    To translate "I thought", ask yourself which of these two meanings you want:
    1) I was operating under the unconscious assumption... (Yo pensaba...).
    2) The thought occurred to me... (Pensé...).