I thought that I was going to argue that the telenovela is rubbish

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by sandymolly, Mar 15, 2009.

1. sandymolly New Member

Ireland
    English - Ireland
    Hi,

I'm preparing a Spanish presentation about telenovelas. I want to say "When I chose this theme, I thought that I was going to argue that the telenovela is rubbish". I have translated it as " Cuando yo elijé este tema, pensaba que iba a argumentar que la telenovela es basura". I don't know whether to use the present indicative (es), the present subjunctive (sea) or the past versions of these. The word "basura" has to remain as it's in the original title even if maybe it doesn't sound right in Spanish.

Thanks,

sandymolly

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  2. Brisita

Brisita Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina - Spanish
    Mi versión:

Cuando elegí este tema, pensaba que iba a argumentar que la telenovela es basura.

In my opinion, you have to use the present indicative because you're referring to a general truth (which then was not, but that's another story). Something else: it is unnecessary to use 'yo' at the beginning of the sentence. The verb itself implies the first person singular. :)

HTH

3. sandymolly New Member

Ireland
    English - Ireland
    Muchas gracias :)

4. chamyto

chamyto Senior Member

Burgos, Spain
    Spanish
    Argue es un false friend y significa discutir, no argumentar

5. chamyto

chamyto Senior Member

Burgos, Spain
    Spanish
    I thought (that) I was going to tell that Soap Operas are rubbish

6. Magazine Senior Member

España
    Hola cham, si lo he entendido bien Sandy busca corrección de su frase en español.

Cuando yo elegí este tema, pensaba que iba a argumentar que la telenovela se encuadraba dentro de la telebasura.

Cuando hablamos de programas de esta índole hablamos de telebasura no de basura a secas.

7. Samdie Senior Member

New York, USA
    American-English
    Not so. "argue" can mean either to dispute (i.e. have an argument) or to advance/propound a theory/position (cf. "he made the argument that ...").