I value values such as health

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by ThomasK, Oct 27, 2013.

1. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Of course one can hardly say that, but in what terms do you express such a relationship?
    - a value
    - to value, to attach importance to, to appreciate,... (> to strive for)

Dutch:
    - een waarde
    - waarderen, more often: appreciëren, waarde hechten aan

2. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    In Turkish:

a value → değer
    to value → değer vermek (lit. to give value.)

3. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Hebrew:
    value - ערך erech, for what youre asking an indirect translation also fits: תכונה tchuna - quality
    to value - להעריך leha'arich, לתת חשיבות latet khashivut (to give importance)

4. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    So both in Turkish and in Hebrew you can use that expression to say: I value (attach value to) health. Correct?

5. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Why yes indeed!

6. Codinome Shlomo Senior Member

Portuguese (Brazil)
    In Portuguese:
    a value valor
    to value valorizar or dar valor (Just like Turkish. Lit.: "to give value").

7. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Funny thing is: in Dutch 'valoriseren' would mean that we try to make (extract) as much as value as we can from it, whereas waarderen would simply be passive...

8. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    Czech:

I value values such as ... = Oceňuji hodnoty jako ... (common)

hodnota = a value;

oceňovati , ceniti si (reflex.) = to value, to appreciate;
    derived from the noun cena = price, prize;

ohodnotiti (derived from hodnota) = to appraise (e.g. a house, a diamond, etc.);

9. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    We also use önemsemek (to give importance) which is very common.

10. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek:

«Εκτιμώ αξίες όπως η υγεία» [ekti'mo a'ksi.es 'opos i i'ʝi.a]

To value: «Εκτιμώ» [ekti'mo] (and colloquially, «εκτιμάω» [ekti'ma.o]) --> to value, estimate, consider the importance of, appraise, prize < Classial Gr. v. «ἐκτιμάω/ἐκτιμῶ» ĕktĭmáō (uncontracted)/ ĕktīmô (contracted) (with the same meaning) < compound, prefix and preposition «ἐκ» ĕk --> out (PIE *h₁eǵʰs-/ *h₁eḱs-, out cf Lat. ex, ex- out of, from; OCS изу, out > Rus. из) + Classical Gr. verb «τίω» tíō --> to honour, esteem, value, appreciate (PIE *kʷei-, value, honour cf Skt. चायु (cAyu), showing respect/reverence (adj.)).

Value (n.): «Αξία» [a'ksi.a] (fem.) < Classical Gr. fem. noun «ἀξίᾱ» ăksíā --> value, wage (PIE *h₂eǵ-, to carry cf Skt. अजति (ajati), to drive, cast, throw, propel); Lat. agere > It. agire, Fr./Por. agir, Ger. agieren, Eng. act).

Bonus etymology:

«Υγεία» [i'ʝi.a] (fem.) --> health < Classical Gr. fem. noun «ὑγείᾱ» hŭgeíā --> health (with uncertain etymology, either from 1/ PIE *h₁su-, well + PIE *gʷeyh₃w-, to live (Pokorny), or from 2/ PIE *h₂iu-, span of time + PIE *gʷeyh₃w-, to live (Weiss)).

PS: The feminine noun «τιμή» [ti'mi] < Classical fem. noun «τιμὴ» tīmḕ, although it derives from the v. «τίω» tíō, and while it's similar in meaning to «ἀξίᾱ» ăksíā, it can't be used here instead of the latter, for in Modern Greek it mostly describes the sum of money at which anything is obtained, the meaning of the specified amount of money one has to pay in order to acquire an item/service, prevails.

11. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    @ Czech: cena is not a Latin word, is it (supper)? Does hodnota consist of two parts/ roots?

@ Turkish: does önemsemek contain a root, an adjective maybe?

@ Greek: interesting link with honour, which might exist in other languages such as Germanic ones like mine, but it is not clear how - but of course the English say: to pay tribute (honour ?) !
    I cannot trace the PIE root right now. Is it #637-38?

I had already discovered, pardon, realized, the link between love and money (dear , cher , caro, teuer, ...), but now there might be a link between value(s) and money...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  12. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Also in hebrew:
    להוקיר lehokir - comes from the root y-k-r (price related) to give a high value to something, similar to endear.
    לרומם leromem - to "heighten" something (not directly related to values but it can be used for it)

13. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Do you then say : I [leronem] very much your cooperation? As for lehokir: I suppose you refer to the link between love and value... Feel free to add that to the other thread (thanks in advance)!

14. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    The word cena (= price, monetary value, also prize, award, Rus. цена, pronounced tsena) is related to Greek poine (Lat. poena), originally with the same meaning.

"POINE was spirit of retribution, vengeance, recompense, punishment and penalty for the crime of murder and manslaughter. The word poinê also referred to the bloodmoney paid to the victim's family to expiation the crime of murder."

The noun hodnota (= value) is derived from the adjective hoden/hodna/hodno = good, kind, worthy of sth.

15. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Great information! Thanks! - Just by the way: don't you have dobre meaning 'good' too ? But I suppose hodnota has to do with character rather, kindness, as you suggest...

16. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    leromem - is not used that way, it is used upon animated things or third person's actions.
    lehokir - it also can act as love but its context dependent.
    another one:
    לגדל\להגדיל legadel/lehagdil acts the same as leromem, taking grow related stuff.

17. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    Yes, dobrý means good, generally.

The derived abstract noun dobrota means goodness (svatá dobroto! = holly goodness!), kindness, generosity, ...; also delicacy, dainty, ...;

Hodný means 'having good character, having positive characteristics'. We discussed it in the thread "Be good" ("buď hodný").

Derived abstract nouns:
    hodnota = value, > hodnotný = valuable, of great value;
    hodnost = rank (in a hierarchy, e.g. lieutenant in the military hierarchy); > hodnostář = a dignitary (esp. ecclesiastical);

18. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Could you find some parallel with German? I have been thinking about a link between value and goodness in Dutch (waarde and goedheid), thought of waarheid (truth) for a second, but apparently there is no link between the two. The link between waard (worthy) and good is not that self-evident for me as a native speaker of Dutch either, but of course un-worthy things cannot be good, or v.v. ...

I do notice that our waarde can refer to 'price' too in Dutch, which I had not thought of before. But of course money is the first (?) thing/ means/... that can be used to express value in - or that is what I suppose...

19. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    In German:

den (wahren) Wert würdigen = to value/appreciate the (true) value;

wert, würdig (worthy of sth) - hodný/hoden;
    der Wert (value) - hodnota;
    werten, würdigen (to appreciate, to appraise) - hodnotit, oceňovat;
    wertvoll (valuable) - hodnotný;
    die Würde (Würdigkeit) = dignity; also rank (hodnost in Czech);

wertschätzen = to value, to appreciate;

German würdig and Czech hoden is used in the following popularly known sentence:
    Herr, ich bin nicht würdig...  Pane, nejsem hoden...

20. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Very interesting link: schätzen (schat[z] has to do with some kind of tax - or so I thought, but I seem to be mistaken: it was cattle rather) and prec- has to with prices... Thanks !

21. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    o : he, she, it, God

ow (Proto-Turkic): honour, holy, to belong to, to be attached to

(first two are my ideas)

(this one is most probably related) öv: to praise, eulogize

--
    on ~ ön : front, first, precursor, fore, a big number, ten. It's also another name for east. (It also means very important ~ noble ~ highborn ~ cosmic being in Proto-Turkic and the words Hun and OnOgur are probably related with this)

önem: importance

önemse: to value, to give importance

-------------

değer (value) < deg (cost, worth, to cost, to touch

somehow I think also related with tek: single, solidarity, uncountable amount (~infinite) (which in turn should be related with Tengri (God) and also teker (wheel) and çevre (nature, surroundings)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  22. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I am impressed... It is quite intriguing how different words or no, meanings are interconnected etymologically [not quite sure whether I put it perfectly correctly]: honour and holiness, front and east, worth and cost, cost and touch... But I recognize some links in Dutch, I think, I could imagine some parallels. (Thanks.)

23. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

Value is another form of importance so in Tagalog it is "Kahalagahan". I value health/ health is important to me.= Mahalaga sa akin ang kalusugan. or May kahalagahan sa akin ang kalusugan.

24. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    OK, Mataripis, but how about these :kahalagahan; bale; balor; halaga; kabuluhan; kapararakan; saysay, which I found at a translation site? Importance seems quite justifiable, but how about the others? And won't you be saying: I attach importance to importance ???

25. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

OK. the other words you found in Google translation are common to me except Balor and bale (These are slang or coined from other dialect.) Bale is " maybe or near what you mean". Halaga is sometimes the cost (measurement-computed), Kabuluhan is common in the assessment of words/what you did.Kapararakan is used to say/describe the quality of works or news or sayings. Saysay is also significance of non scripted and scripted sayings/doings. But when using Kahalagahan (halaga as root word) it is the significance or importance. No doubt it has importance . Here are samples how i use some the given words you posted. 1.) Ang halaga ng bilihin ay patuloy sa pag taas dahil sa pagdami ng tao.(The cost of commodities continue to rise/go up due to increasing numbers of consumers.) 2.) May kabuluhan ba ang batas na ito? (Is there any significance with this law/bill?) 3.) Marami sa sinasabi nila ay walang kapararakan.(The words they are saying are void). 4.) Saysay is importance that serve as catalyst pattern for other issues/talks/works.That is why there is Kasaysayan (History). May saysay ang ginawa niyang panukala.( His suggestions have significance ) 5.) About: I attach importance to importance. I think in Tagalog it is simply : Kalakip nito ang kahalagahan niya. and i think in english it is " Its written importance/significance are attached/included...

26. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Interesting that importance,significance and value seem to be translations of one word or concept. But if one talks about safety, cooperation, health, ..., then we call them values. What will you call them then? it must be a word that has a plural...

I just hope some of those values help people in the Philippines at this time !