I want to be fluent.

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by danny529, Jan 21, 2013.

1. danny529 New Member

English
    Hi,
    I was wondering whether you would be able to help me. How do you say 'I want to be fluent' accurately in as many languages as possible for a school project.

Thanks

Danny

2. ahmedcowon Senior Member

In Arabic (Standard):
    أريد أن أتحدث العربية بطلاقة (ureedu ann ataḥaddatha al-‘arabiyyata bi-Talaaqaten) = I want to speak Arabic fluently

Egyptian Arabic:
    عايز أكون لبلب في العربي (‘aayez akun liblib fil-‘araby) = I want to be fluent in Arabic

Levantine Arabic:
    بدي إحكي عربي متل البلبل (baddi eḥky ‘araby mitl el-bulbul) = I want to speak Arabic like a nightingale

3. merquiades

merquiades Senior Member

France
    USA Northeast
    Hi! There are probably several other ways to say it but here's what I would translate it to Spanish and French:

Spanish: Quiero hablar con fluidez.
    French: Je veux parler couramment.

4. ilocas2 Senior Member

Czech:

Chci mluvit plynně (česky) - I want to speak fluently (Czech)

Chci být plynný (v češtině) - I want to be fluent (in Czech) - it sounds stupid

5. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    Russian
    We do not say "I want to be fluent". The appropriate expression would be:
    я хочу свободно владеть (русским) языком /ya khotchu svobodno vladet' (russkim) yazykom - lit. I want to possess the (Russian) language freely

6. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek the respected adj. is «ευφραδής, -ής, -ές» [efra'ðis] (masc. & fem.), [efra' ðes] (neut.) but it doesn't sound natural at all to say that I want to be «ευφραδής».
    «Θέλω να μιλάω/μιλώ με ευχέρεια ελληνικά» ['θelo na mi'la.o (uncontracted)/mi'lo (contracted) me ef'çeri.a elini'ka] lit. "I want to speak with efficiency Greek", sounds more natural.

Adj. «ευφραδής, -ής, -ές» [efra'ðis] (masc. & fem.), [efra' ðes] (neut.), is a Byzantine adj. deriving from the Classical fem. noun «εὐφράδεια» eu'pʰrădeiă --> correctness of language; compound, adv. «εὖ» eu --> well (PIE base *h₁su-, good) + verb «φράζω» 'pʰrăzō --> tell, declare (with obscure etymology)

Fem. noun «ευχέρεια» [ef'çeri.a], a Classical fem. noun. «εὐχέρεια» eu'xĕreiă --> lit. manual dexterity, metaph. skill, efficiency; compound, adv. «εὖ» eu --> well (PIE base *h₁su-, good) + Classical fem. noun «χείρ» xeir --> hand (PIE base *ǵʰesor- /*ǵʰesr-, hand)

7. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    In Japanese you have several ways to say ''fluent'' , so I'll use the word Japanese in the example. :)

1) I want to be fluent: ペラペラになりたい pera pera ni naritai (this is colloquial as it uses an onomatopoeia)

2) I want to be able to speak JP fluently (that's how you say it): 日本語がスラスラ話せるようになりたい nihongo ga sura sura hanaseru youni naritai (kinda colloquial too due to the onomatopoeia)

3) I want to speak JP fluently: 日本語を流ちょうに話したい nihongo wo ryuu chou ni hanashitai. (this time the word for fluent has to do with 2 concepts: 流 (current/flow, like a river), and 暢 stretch)

If you want to last one in a formal way, add です desu at the end. :)

You can perfectly say: quiero ser fluido. :p

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  8. kloie Senior Member

houston tx
    american english from texas
    In serbian: желим да говорим српски течно

9. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

Most Filipinos do not know this in Tagalog. In my translation it is "Ibig kong maging bihasa sa......."

10. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    One of the most natural ways to express "I want to be fluent" in Norwegian is "Jeg ønsker å snakke norsk flytende" (I want to speak Norwegian fluently).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  11. wbhindyou New Member

Australia
    English
    In Thai, a man would say ผมอยากจะพูดภาษาไทยอย่างคล่องแคล่ว

12. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Hebrew:
    אני רוצה לדבר עברית שוטף/פת
    I want to speak Hebrew fluently
    ani rotze/a ledaber ivrit shotef/(+)et
    rotze is for male, rotza is female, shotef or shotefet depends on which word you want to attach the fluently, shotefet is attached to ivrit, shotef attached to ledaber.