I was a fully appointed Maths teacher

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by loi, Mar 28, 2012.

1. loi Senior Member

spanish
    No entiendo el significado de "fully" en esta frase: "I was a fully appointed Maths teacher"? si el verbo to be apppointed ya significa "ser designado o nombrado" en este caso como profesor de matemáticas.

2. frida-nc

frida-nc Moduladora

North Carolina
    English USA
    Hola loi:
    Esperaría "duly" en vez de "fully" en este contexto, pero parece implicar que su designación fue hecho debidamente, con la plena consideración y pleno cumplimiento de los requerimientos.

3. SydLexia Senior Member

London
    UK, English
    Sin más contexto yo diría que el inglés está mal pero quiere decir lo que dice nuestra amiga carolina.

syd

4. mijoch Senior Member

British English
    But in BE we do say "fully appointed/qualified whatever" quite often. Who decides if it's bad, good, or just colloquial English?

M.

5. SydLexia Senior Member

London
    UK, English
    Well, I goggled "fully appointed teacher" and got 6 hits so you are of course right to some extent. But "fully appointed upper house" got over 800 hits and "fully appointed board" over 4,000. I don't think you can say that 'fully appointed' collocates usually with 'teacher' or that it usually means 'hecho debidamente, con la plena consideración y pleno cumplimiento de los requerimientos' (which is what it seems to mean here).

'fully appointed' in BrE seems to refer usually to the House of Lords or to fully-equipped premises/rooms as in "well/fully appointed kitchen" (millions of hits).

My basic point though, which I could have expressed better, was that the original question (what does 'fully' really mean here?) is subordinate to the question "what does 'fully appointed' really mean?".

(and your 'fully qualified' is, of course, a completely different kettle of fish and unquestionably a classic collocation with, possibly, a radically different meaning.)

syd

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  6. mijoch Senior Member

British English
    Hi syd.

That's a nice analysis. "Fully qualified teacher" is in common use, and the "fully" seems to provide a redundent emphasis. I couldn't give it a precise meaning.

Here I have suggested a similarity of meaning between "qualify" and "appoint". It does seem to me that "to be qualified" has got something to do with "to be appointed" when referring to a person.

In any case the meaning of "fully" escapes me--------"rizando el rizo"-------and nothing more.

The "fully appointed" in the OP does refer to a person. Perhaps you're correct. It's a strange and poor use of language--------"a fully appointed Maths teacher-----weird!!!

Cheers

M.

7. SydLexia Senior Member

London
    UK, English
    Maths teacher required: Must be fully appointed with feet for striding about, arms for flailing, an index finger to wag or describe subtle curves, the regulation tousled hair... :)

Oh, and I don't think it would be difficult to find a fully qualified teacher who hasn't got a job, by the way.

syd

8. loi Senior Member

spanish
    Wow, I didn´t expect all this discussion. Thanks anyway.

9. INFOJACK Senior Member

Venezuela
    SPANISH