1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I went to China in 2010.

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by stelingo, Nov 11, 2012.

1. stelingo Senior Member

English
    Just want to check how to say the year in this sentence. I went to China in 2010.
    Pojechałem do Chin w dwa tysiące dziesiątym roku. Am I also using the correct form of jechać? Thanks

2. BezierCurve Senior Member

Yes, it is correct. "Pojechałem" is also correct, but only for masculine gender (which would be "pojechałam" for feminine and "pojechałom" for a purely theoretical 1st person neuter gender).

3. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Should you ever come to Poland, don't be surprised if you hear "w dwutysięcznym ....". It's an extremely common mistake. Your version is the only one that is correct.

4. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    This 'mistake' is becoming a new norm.

5. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    The choice of the verb in Polish will depend on the circumstances of your journey.
    In Polish the verbs used are often very specific. If you just only say or write ‘pojechałem’, then your message if very imprecise.
    ‘Pojechałem’ is mostly used about short, local journeys one way, for example “I went to work” (Pojechałem do pracy).
    If you went to China in 2010, and still stay there, then you should say ‘wyjechałem do Chin w 2010’. If you just went for short tourist or business trip you should say ‘odwiedziłem Chiny w 2010’, or very informal ‘byłem w Chinach w 2010’, or formal ‘odbyłem podróż do Chin w 2010’.

6. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    To the point where you run the risk of being correct if you say it the right way. That's what happened to me once, but I kept my composure and politely disabused the person of his wrong notion :)

7. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    You meant " ... of being corrected .."?
    Why do you use such words as "disabuse"? Are you an old schoolmaster?

8. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Of course I did. I was writing my post before I had my usual fix of coffee, hence the error.

One doesn't have to be an old schoolmaster to use words like this. The word in question simply appeals to me and I have every right to use it, and people can make what they will of that. :)

9. stelingo Senior Member

English
    It was a short visit. So Pojechałem wouldn't be correct in this context? If I were still in China, in English I wouldn't say I went to China, but I came to China. Would you still use wyjechałem in Polish?

10. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    How long have you been to China and what was the purpose of your visit? Such information wouldn't go amiss :)

11. stelingo Senior Member

English
    I was there 3 weeks studying Chinese.

12. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    Of course you would say I came, but the point was to show the ambiguity of the Polish verb, which a native speaker would have avoided. The major point being that 'pojechałem' is usually a one way trip.

13. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Well, I personally think pojechałem can also indicate just the fact that somebody went somewhere -- in a very specific context. Ex.: Zaraz po wyzwoleniu pojechałem do Francji i wrociłem dopiero w 1960 roku. Zaraz po obiedzie pojechałem do centrum i wrócilem dopiero późnym wieczorem. Don't you think this is a proper use?

14. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    I sugggest that you don't use verbs such as "pojechałem" or "wyjechałem" altogether. You're better off with "W dwa tysiące dziesiątym (roku) byłem w Chinach". You could also add for how long you've been there.

Liliana, I think your sentences are just fine, although in the first one I'd be far more likely to use "wyjechałem".

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  15. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    "Zaraz po obiedzie pojechałem do centrum i wrócilem dopiero późnym wieczorem." is OK

"Zaraz po wyzwoleniu pojechałem do Francji i wrociłem dopiero w 1960 roku." I would say "wyjechałem", because you leave an enclosure (cross a border) leaving a country. It would be more idiomatic, but pojechałem is not an error either.

16. tengounaduda New Member

España
    polski
    this was my first idea... and I am a Polish native speaker. I didn't know it is incorrect. I don't mind when it is incorrect.. but fthe form "w dwutysiecznym..." even if not 100% correct is very popular in Poland and in a common use, TV included.