I will call you back tomorrow morning..?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Vickyhere, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Vickyhere Senior Member

Italian
    I am writing an e-mail to someone for informing that I received the message and I would write that I will call back her tomorrow. Which form to use?

I will call you back tomorrow morning

OR

I am calling you back tomorrow morning

???

2. WestSideGal

WestSideGal Senior Member

English, US
    The first option is fine.

3. loginpleaseplease

loginpleaseplease Senior Member

Madrid
    English - UK
    I will call you back tomorrow morning, because tomorrow is the future. I am calling you back could be used for instance to say "I am calling you back at the moment but the line's engaged..." i.e. to convey that the calling back is going on now in the present, but never to convey the future.

4. Vickyhere Senior Member

Italian
    Thank you!

5. WAMORZINHO

WAMORZINHO Senior Member

brasil/sao paulo
    Portuguese
    I will call you back tomorrow morning

6. Mr.X Senior Senior Member

Singapore
    Burmese & English (2nd Language)
    I would go for

I shall call you back tomorrow morning.

7. Full Tilt Boogie Senior Member

Manchester, UK
    British English
    The "I'll call you back tomorrow..." implies that whatever message you received was either a phone call which you could not take (didn't have the time to take) at the time you received it, or a voice mail/message you received on (e.g.) you answer-phone.

If it was an email message you'd received and intended then to return by telephone call, you could simply and accurately say "I'll call you in the morning [to talk about it]..."

8. mtmjr

mtmjr Senior Member

California/Ohio (US)
    English (US)
    I agree with Full Tilt. "Calling back" implies that they called you first (by phone, whether successful or not).