1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I wish I could...?

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by Anitta27, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Anitta27 Junior Member

Castellano,España
    Hi!I wish somebody can help me,

How do you write in greek "I wish I could travel around the world with the person I love"

and "I want to be with you, take care of you. I don´t want you to be part of my past, but my present".

I hope somebody can help me!Thanks so much!

2. Tassos

Tassos Senior Member

Εύχομαι να μπορούσα να γυρίσω τον κόσμο μαζί με το πρόσωπο που αγαπώ.

Θέλω να είμαι μαζί σου, να σε φροντίζω. Δεν θέλω να είσαι ένα κομμάτι από το παρελθόν μου, θέλω να είσαι το παρόν μου.

3. Anitta27 Junior Member

Castellano,España
    Thank you so much Tassos!, I have one doubt: in my dictionary γυρίσω means "to roll" or "turn into/change" travel is ταξιδεύω (I don´t have knowledge of modern greek but, how could I say the same sentence ("I wish I could travel around the world with the person I love") with the verb ταξιδεύωinstead γυρίσω ?

And in the sentence "I want to be with you",(Θέλω να είμαι μαζί σου)
    what´s the meaning of να?
    THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

4. Xyelu New Member

Turkish
    Θέλω να είμαι μαζί σου
    I want to be with you

5. Αγγελος Senior Member

Greek
    There is no infinitive in Modern Greek. "I want to be" is literally expressed as "I want that I be". να is just a conjunction intoducing (among other things) subjunctive clauses.

"γυρίζω τον κόσμο" is definitely more idiomatic for "travel around the world" than any wording using ταξιδεύω. And γυρίζω doesn't mean "turn into/change". I wonder which dictionary you are using!

Also, Εύχομαι used like that in the present tense normally refers to wishes that can be fulfilled. If your intended meaning is "I wish I could, but I can't", then you should probably say
    Θα 'θελα να μπορούσα να γυρίσω τον κόσμο μαζί με το πρόσωπο που αγαπώ

6. Anitta27 Junior Member

Castellano,España
    Thank you so much!!!the dictionary I´m using is from the publisher "LIBRERIA UNIVERSITARIA" (is really bad,but it was the only one in the shop) hahaha...thanks!