I wish you well every day

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by c1wang, Mar 29, 2009.

1. c1wang

c1wang Senior Member

07030 USA (50+ ans)
    Chinese - Mandarin
    Ï want to say: I wish you well everyday. But not that "Everyday, I wish you well."

The following two, do they both work? one is better? or only one works.
    "Je vous souhaite bien chaque jour"
    "Je vous souhaite bien tous les jours".

It just occured to me that French people may say it totally different; I thus need assistance. Thank you so very!

2. newg

newg Senior Member

London, UK
    (France)-ais
    Hello :)

The problem with your two sentences is that they don't make any sense.

"Je vous souhaite bien chaque jour" and "Je vous souhaite bien tous les jours" may be right but doesn't mean anything here.

What do you want to "wish" exactly?

3. mrsroynie Senior Member

Montréjeau, France
    English - British
    If you were closing an informal message to a close friend, you might want to use "Bien à toi". It has the meaning, "I wish you well".

4. newg

newg Senior Member

London, UK
    (France)-ais
    I don't personally think that "Bien à toi" is informal, except the fact that you use "tu".
    I would never say that to a close friend.

5. c1wang

c1wang Senior Member

07030 USA (50+ ans)
    Chinese - Mandarin
    Good point!
    This is one of the occasions that I find French a more precise language.
    Well, I mean, "well" in health and everything he/she does. Still, is this too broad and vague for French thinking? (The person I want to speak to is a French and a new acquaintance of mine.)

Thank you.

6. newg

newg Senior Member

London, UK
    (France)-ais
    Je te souhaite une bonne santé et de réussir tout ce que tu entreprends.

7. mrsroynie Senior Member

Montréjeau, France
    English - British
    Newg, I don't think your response was particularly helpful. When you say you would not use "Bien à toi" to a close friend, could it be because you and I have different ideas about what constitutes a "close friend", or because you and I come from different generations? I am 46. You are 18. I use this closing in messages to friends from my French class, who are not "close" in terms of family, but people I see, in class and outside, on a regular basis. I would genuinely be interested as to what you consider to be the most appropriate use for "Bien à toi". I hope I haven't been getting it wrong all these months ...

Could "Bien à toi" be used in the context given, i.e. to wish someone well?

8. Punky Zoé

Punky Zoé Senior Member

Pau
    France - français
    Hi

I think you may be interested in that thread ;), As for me I think it is cultural, I'm more or less your age (I know rather more than less :p) but "bien à toi/vous" isn't natural to me.

Concerning c1wang's question, maybe "je vous souhaite le meilleur (pour chaque jour)" might work? (it is IMHO the closest to the original)

9. c1wang

c1wang Senior Member

07030 USA (50+ ans)
    Chinese - Mandarin
    "Je vous souhaite le meilleure santé." is what I come up with. Does it work?

But then I recall that a french told me that it is odd to wish people heathy. According to him, you say that only when you know someone is ill.

I would like to know how true it is to other French people.

Thanks.

10. newg

newg Senior Member

London, UK
    (France)-ais
    I agree with your French friend. I would have said exactly the same thing !
    Concerning your sentence I would say :

Je te/vous souhaite une bonne santé.

If someone's ill you can say :

Je te/vous souhaite un bon rétablissement.

11. c1wang

c1wang Senior Member

07030 USA (50+ ans)
    Chinese - Mandarin
    Merci beaucoup !