I wish you were here with me tonight

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by luca1981, Sep 19, 2005.

1. luca1981 New Member

can anyone translate this into Italian for me:

"I wish you were here with me tonight"

Grazie,
    Luca

2. Silvia B

Silvia B Senior Member

Italy - Italian
    Hi Luca1981, here is the translation:
    "Avrei voluto che tu fossi stata/o qui con me stanotte"

Ciao!

3. Scrumpals

Scrumpals Senior Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    USA - English
    Per caso, significherebbe la stessa cosa a dire:
    "vorrei che tu fossi qui stasera"?
    senno', potresti spiegarmi la differenza?
    Grazie!
    steven

4. Silvia B

Silvia B Senior Member

Italy - Italian
    No, non è uguale.

"Vorrei che tu fossi qui stasera" si riferisce ad un futuro
    mentre
    "Vorrei che fossi stata con me stanotte" si riferisce alla notte appena passata

Il tempo verbale è diverso.

Ciao!!

5. Scrumpals

Scrumpals Senior Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    USA - English
    Ok, grazie, ora capisco meglio. Ma, che cosa diresti se durante la notte, mentre ti stai sdriato sul letto, chiamassi la tua amante e le dici "I wish you were here tonight." E' il presente, non il futuro ne' il passato.

steven

6. Silvia B

Silvia B Senior Member

Italy - Italian
    Useresti il presente, come prima, e quindi "vorrei che tu fossi qui stanotte"
    Si usa il presente sia che tu stia parlando del presente nel senso di "ora" sia che tu ti stia riferendo al futuro prossimo.
    Prova a vedere questi esempi:
    Vorrei che tu fossi qui con me domani sera
    Vorrei che tu fossi qui con me stasera
    Vorrei che tu fossi qui con me ora

:) Ciao

7. lsp

lsp Senior Member

NY
    US, English
    I find it difficult to determine from the English if we're talking about the night we just finished or the night about to happen. My instinct was that it refers to the imminent night (otherwise it would have said, "I wish you'd been here with me tonight."

8. mzsweeett

mzsweeett Senior Member

USA
    USA, American English
    Yes I agree there... It is quite impossible to make this sentence in the present as it is not happening.... but rather going to happen (or not :p).

Personally, I like Silvia's explanations and examples. Take your pick and see what happens..... :D

Sweet T.

9. Manuel_M Senior Member

Malta
    Maltese
    I wish you were here with me tonight.

In my view this relates to either a night in the present or in the future tense, not in the past. Therefore, my translation would be Vorrei che tu fossi qui con me stasera.

10. Alfry

Alfry Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    magari tu fossi qui con me stanotte,
    come vorrei che tu fossi qui con me stanotte

11. gva Junior Member

USA
    Italy/Italian
    As I read all the proposed translations, they all seem correct but sond stilted and unnatural. Instead, the English sentence is a very natural one that anyone would say on the phone to his/her loved one. In the spirit of coming up with a translation that renders the same feeling, how about:

ti vorrei qui con me stasera, mi manchi tanto!

12. Silvia B

Silvia B Senior Member

Italy - Italian
    :confused: :confused:
    Unnatural?? Sure? It is not a complicated phrase, I use it and nobody thinks I am unnatural. :rolleyes:

13. Alfry

Alfry Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    and I would use this all the time. that's perfectly natural to me.

14. mzsweeett

mzsweeett Senior Member

USA
    USA, American English
    Sylvia and Alfry have given great translations.... but the one thing we are lacking here is some context....
    Is this a poem, a letter, a phone call... what is the setting of this romantic request?? I have a suggestion but would rather wait to see what is underlying......
    To my non-native ears these translations sound very nice.... no doubt mine may make the Italian ears cringe....lol
    Please let us know so that you get what you are looking for.... I probably should have stated that in my earlier post.

Sweet T.

15. curon Senior Member

Cardiff, UK
    Wales (UK) Welsh
    At the start of the thread someone mentioned
    "Avrei voluto che tu fossi qui stasera"

Is this
    "I would have liked for you to have been here tonight"
    ?

If so then this expresses more of a dissappointment and...to me at least, suggests that some time in the past there was a real possibility or promise that the person would indeed have been there that night. Che ne pensate?

16. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

čeština
    Sono d'accordissimo. :) Non sono madrelingua. :(

Jana

17. rom_itn

rom_itn Senior Member

Naples
    Sri Lanka - Sinhalese
    Ciao a tutti,
    Come posso tradurre "wish you were here" all'italiano? Devo utilizzare il congiuntivo?

Ci provo: Vorrei che fossi qui :-|

Rom

18. Idioteque

Idioteque Senior Member

Rome
    Italy - Italian
    Perfetto! :thumbsup: :D

Ciao, Laura

P.S: Tradurre in italiano ;)

19. rom_itn

rom_itn Senior Member

Naples
    Sri Lanka - Sinhalese
    Grazie Laura! :) Thanks for the correction..

20. La Bionda Senior Member

Nottingham
    German (Living in England)
    Ciao

To connect that to a recent post: to say 'I wish you were here to warm me' would that be

' Vorrei che fossi qui e mi scaldassi?':(

21. uinni

uinni Senior Member

Italy, Italian

If you want to be faithful to the sentence in English you say:

"Vorrei che fossi qui a/per scaldarmi"

But the sentence you wrote is ok.

Uinni

22. La Bionda Senior Member

Nottingham
    German (Living in England)
    Thanks Uinni!
    :thumbsup: :)

23. audrey711

audrey711 Junior Member

Santa Barbara, CA, USA
    English, United States
    Hello People,

Could someone help me translate "I wish you were here with me" and
    "I like spending time with you"?

Thank you.

Audrey

24. TimeHP

TimeHP Senior Member

Liguria
    Italian - Italy
    Vorrei che fossi qui con me.
    Mi piace stare con te.

Ciao

25. audrey711

audrey711 Junior Member

Santa Barbara, CA, USA
    English, United States
    Grazie!!!

Audrey

26. beetle Senior Member

English
    Hello,

I want to say " Wish I was there" in Italian (in a casual way), and am wondering if there is an equivalent that makes sense...

'Wish I was there...' (as in, i wish i was there with you and not here where i am!)

27. disegno

disegno Senior Member

San Francisco
    United States English
    Magari che ci fosse con te e non qui da solo/a.

28. brian

brian Senior Member

Montréal
    AmE (New Orleans)
    I'm not sure if da solo should be there. It's not in the English, though it very well could be true in such a situation.

Also, should fosse be fossi? And if you should decide to cut off the con te... part, you might like to add an io:

Magari che ci fossi io! or Magari che io ci fossi!

Otherwise, it could mean "I wish you were here!"

Brian

29. moki Senior Member

Orange County, CA
    United States, English
    Secondo me è meglio dire:
    Magari ci fossi io (con te)

30. brian

brian Senior Member

Montréal
    AmE (New Orleans)
    Bentornata, moki! È un po' che tu non sia qui, vero?

Hai ragione--"che" non è necessario.

31. TOM_81 Junior Member

Venice
    Italy
    It should be:
    'Magari fossi lì con te e non qui dove mi trovo'

32. Isapaola Senior Member

Italian Italy
    O, più semplicemente Vorrei essere lì (con te non è scontato). Magari è più usato se riguarda cose, non persone. I wish you were here Vorrei che tu fossi qui, magari fosse vero! I wish it were true!
    Almeno, così si usa generalmente, secondo la mia esperienza che non vuole essere assoluta.

33. beetle Senior Member

English
    VORREI is more like I WOULD LIKE, not I WISH isn't it?

Isn't DESIDERO - I WISH??? or am i totaly wrong hehe :)

34. nicmizar

nicmizar Junior Member

Italia
    Italian/Italy
    Bettle, you are right, in Italian the first translation of "I wish" is "Io spero/Io auspico". But in this particular context ("I wish I was there") the first translation sounds funny and uncorrect: "Io auspico di essere lì".
    So we use the second translation of "I wish" -> "Io vorrei", and thus "Io vorrei essere lì"

Everything would be so easy if any word could have a perfect correspondence between an idiom and another. The difficulties in translating from a language to another are in this lack of perfect correspondence!

35. MAVERIK

MAVERIK Senior Member

Tuscany
    Italy Italian
    Actually "wish" is "desidero" but with the meaning of "I would like/ vorrei".

36. brian

brian Senior Member

Montréal
    AmE (New Orleans)
    How about bramare? I just found it in WR because I looked up "long to," as in "I long to be there with you."

37. nicmizar

nicmizar Junior Member

Italia
    Italian/Italy
    "bramare" is really stronger in Italian than "desiderare", it gives the idea of a stronger desire, I wouldn't use it in this case...

38. Isapaola Senior Member

Italian Italy
    I think there is a bit of confusion, which is normal when there is no direct correspondence between two languages (which is the charm of them, anyway).
    Vorrei is translated I would like when something is easy to obtain, is just a desire that can be easily fulfilled.
    Some of you have correctly tranlated wish with magari, because I wish means a desire for something that is often impossible to obtain, or quite difficult to.
    I wish it was not so hot in summer.
    I wish I were a man (and I am a woman)
    That's the reason of I wish you were here when you know it is not possible to have the person you long for there with you.
    I hope it helps.

39. beetle Senior Member

English
    Ah its frustrating when what you want to say in English just doesn't translate well in Italian :-(

I guess i'll have to go with "Vorrei essere lì"

40. brian

brian Senior Member

Montréal
    AmE (New Orleans)
    So, Isapaola, you vote for the magari construction then? I always think of it as "If only...(but not)," which I think applies here.

If only I were there with you! (...but I'm not)

Sometimes just for fun I translate it with "Would that"--Would that I were there with you--because really old Latin grammar books translate the optative subjunctive with "Would that...," which I think corresponds well to "magari."

41. moodywop Banned

Southern Italy
    Italian - Italy
    Magari is used on its own, without che.

The topic of the appropriate translation of "I wish" has come up again and again in several threads. I'm going to be my usual stubborn self and reiterate that I don't consider the weak, wishy-washy "vorrei" as equivalent to "I wish". In my opinion only "magari" and "se solo" are appropriate translations. If anyone who I was involved with romantically were to say they "vorrebbero" see me they would be given their marching orders:D Now, if it were "vorrei tanto" then I wouldn't mind.

42. brian

brian Senior Member

Montréal
    AmE (New Orleans)
    You're right, Carlo...magari has been quite a hot topic at WR. I've mostly shied away from it because I know it's not without its complexities. ;) Nevertheless, I agree that if vorrei has any semblance to the weakness of saying "I'd like to be there," then magari is the way to go.

Also, if you notice, I mentioned right above you "If only..." I associate this with magari, but in all honesty the "If only...!" construction is pretty uncommon in conversational English. I use it when it talks about the past and refers to someone else--If only he had done such and such, then...--but rarely in the first-person optative sense: If only I were there with you. Perhaps I might say If only I could be there, but still. Anyway, this was all leading up to a question :D: Is the Se solo construction popular in conversational Italian? How does it stand against magari? Out of the two, which would you prefer in this example?

Brian

43. moodywop Banned

Southern Italy
    Italian - Italy
    Brian

There was disagreement on this issue, too. Another forero said that "se solo" is not very common in conversation. Well, I think it's pretty obvious I'm not exactly Mr Formality and I can sound like a truckdriver at times, if provoked:D And yet I use "se solo" all the time. To me "se solo" is stronger than "magari". But then my emotional range is abnormally wide.

44. moki Senior Member

Orange County, CA
    United States, English
    In this example I prefer magari...just because that's what I've heard. Anyway vorrei to me does not belong in this context because like moodywop said it is just too weak...if my boyfriend were to say "vorrei che ci fossi con me" I must say that i would think of it as a bit strange...but maybe thats just me

45. zuccone61 Junior Member

Italian
    Moki, il tuo primo suggerimento prende un'altra accezione, temo indesiderata. Infatti se dici "Vorrei esserci io lì" s'intende "invece di qualcun altro"! Secondo me è meglio un semplicissimo
    "Vorrei essere lì" oppure "Vorrei essere lì con te" o anche, rinforzando un po' "Vorrei tanto essere lì con te in questo momento"
    M

46. f4bo

f4bo Senior Member

Milano IT
    italian
    Hoping that this could be of some help:
    AFAIK, the legendary Pink Floyd's song "I wish you where here" have been always transated in "Vorrei (che) tu fossi qui".

47. Asso New Member

Bologna
    italian
    hi
    I would say "se io fossi li con te"

ok?

ciao
    Asso

48. f4bo

f4bo Senior Member

Milano IT
    italian
    "se io fossi li con te" alone means nothing. The "se" imply an action: how does it follows?
    If you want to make a brief and effective sentence, "Vorrei che tu fossi qui" is the best I could tink of (and it works very well with gals too! :) )

49. moodywop Banned

Southern Italy
    Italian - Italy
    Hi Asso and welcome:) (it's nice to see so many new people joining the forum!)

Se io fossi means if I were, not I wish I were.

Several suggestions have been made so far. I think the original sentence was I wish I were there with you. What we've come up with so far:

1. Vorrei essere lì con te

2. Vorrei tanto essere lì con te!

3. Magari fossi/potessi essere lì con te!

4. Se solo fossi/potessi essere lì con te!

I didn't use an exclamation mark in 1. for the very same reason why I think it's not a good translation - it's too weak compared to I wish

50. GavinW Senior Member

Italy
    British English
    OK, but didn't the inquirer say "in a casual way"? In that case maybe we don't need to expand the emotions too much (but maybe I'm just being too British...): "Vorrei essere lì/là anch'io (in questo momento)" might just do it (or "Magari ci fossi là anch'io!" in a more rueful way, perhaps), especially if the guy isn't about to hop on a plane and join the other person, but just wants to agree that the weather does indeed sound pretty nice, or something...

Otherwise, yearnings and cravings seem to be stretching it a bit, in context (last two words to be read almost as if capitalized).

Edit: whoops, last few posts have superseded mine rather...