I won't work, or I won't be working, this weekend.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by claude23, Feb 6, 2006.

1. claude23 Banned

I won't work or I won't be working this WE ?

Which one is correct ?

Thank you,

2. reelwolf New Member

Germany - nativ german, almost native english
    "I won't work" is a future 1 simple indicating a non-changable event in the future. Meaning "Under no circumstances will you get me to work!"

"I won't be working this weekend" is future 1 progressiv indicating a continuous action that is stretching into the future and is less strict about the event than future 1 simple. Meaning "I'm not going to work this weekend, but next weekend I might be working."
  3. Conan Doyle Senior Member

Vietnam, English
    1. I won't work

It is indicated the action in the future that cannot be influenced spontaneous decision assumption with regard to the future.

2. I won't be working this week

It is indicated that you are not working this week only (action that is going on at a certain time in the future)
  4. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    I agree it could mean this, reelwolf, but it could also mean 'suppose I don't work this week-end'. You are discussing with a friend how you are going to spend the week-end, and you say: 'I won't work this week-end and we'll go on a fishing trip'. The other person replies that she can't for some reason, so it looks as though you are going to be working this week-end. This is clearly not, then, an expression of a non-changeable event in the future, whatever such a thing might be.

Certainly I won't be working this week-end looks to mean 'I'm not going to work this week-end but next week-end I may be working', but I'm not sure what you mean by a continuous action stretching into the future, and whether or not it indicates a firmer resolve not to work than 1. depends, it seems to me, on intonation, and how easily 1. could be taken to have the second meaning, the one I put forward in the first paragraph of this post.

I think 1. does carry the suggestion that the decision not to work comes from me, more readily than does 2., but I also think we must beware of reading too precise a meaning into the words alone in these short sentences, where intonation, accentuation, and other turns of voice can mean so much.
  5. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    For clarification: based on prior knowledge of the questioner's style, this question is about the following two sentences.
    I won't work this weekend.
    won't be working this weekend.