I would appreciate if you <sent, would send, send> me a refund.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by guelder rose, Apr 18, 2009.

1. guelder rose Junior Member

Ukraine
    Ukrainian, Russian
    I am a bit puzzled about the different ways we can continue the phrase which starts with "I would appreciate if..." :

1) I would appreciate if you sent me a refund.
    2) I would appreciate if you would send me a refund.
    3) I would appreciate if you send me a refund.

As far as I can understand, the first and the second variants are grammatically absolutely correct, the second variand ("would send") implying the willingness on the part of "you". Is it right?

The third variant ("send") is incorrect, in my humble opinion. Because "I would appreciate" is an unreal conditional, and "if you send me" is real conditional. Their combination seems illogical. Or is it acceptable?
    The search in the google gives examples of all types, but native English speakers can also make mistakes.

So, I am interested whether the third variant ("I would appreciate if you send me a refund.") is:
    a) grammatically and stylistically correct;
    b) a grammar mistake;
    c) bad style.

Thank you in advance!

2. johndot Senior Member

English - England
    The verb appreciate (in this sense) is transitive so it should be followed by a noun or pronoun.
    1) I would appreciate it if you sent me a refund. (Straightforward conditional)
    2) I would appreciate if you would send me a refund. (Not correct, but often said [ with it, as above]. It should be the same as 1.)
    3) I would appreciate if you send me a refund.(This should be: I will appreciate it if you send me a refund. Straightforward conditional.)

Another way would be: I would appreciate your sending me a refund. (“your sending me a refund” is the direct object as a phrase.)

3. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    In these sentences I always feel the dummy it (which I agree is necessary) is very obtrusive.
    To avoid the obtrusive it, I prefer either johndot's version with the gerund or changing to "I would be grateful if ..."

However, it is clear that many do not object to it in this structure.

In another thread* it was suggested (probably by me) that johndot's corrected version of (3) is a bit presumptuous - in a way, taking for granted that you are going to send the refund.

Of (1) and (2), I think I understand johndot's objection to (2), but it seems to me to be the "normal" form. It's what I would say and it appears to be used by lots of others.
    "I would appreciate it if you would send" - 6,230
    "I would appreciate it if you sent" - 682
    "I would be grateful if you would send" - 2,680
    "I would be grateful if you sent" - 399
    The counts are unreliable in absolute terms, but they probably give an indication of relative frequency of use.

I'd better include the versions without it:
    "I would appreciate if you would send" - 10,900
    "I would appreciate if you sent" - 515
    Oh.

<<...>>

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  4. johndot Senior Member

English - England
    Ah, yes. In my earlier post I restricted myself to conditional tense usage; but there are other constructions of course, as in “Please send me a refund—I would appreciate it.” (And, surely, in this case the ‘it’ can’t be avoided?)

5. guelder rose Junior Member

Ukraine
    Ukrainian, Russian
    Thank you for the explanations and corrections!
    As I take it, the corrected version of "3) I would appreciate it if you send me a refund." should be :

"I would appreciate it if you sent me a refund.",

taking into consideration that "I will appreciate it if you send me a refund" is a bit presumptuous, as panjandrum mentioned.

6. Michael613 New Member

English
    I enjoyed reading your response. I was wondering your opinion of the following: "I would appreciate it if you were to......". Is this a valid conditional and grammatical structure? Thanking you in advance.

7. Tintazul

Tintazul Senior Member

Hi, although this threat is very old it fits to my question.
    Can we leave out “if” in this sentence?

· I would appreciate it (if) you sent me a refund.

Thanks in advance

8. Tintazul

Tintazul Senior Member

On second thoughts maybe I would also have to leave out "it":

. I would appreciate (that) you send me a refund.

I don't really know. would you help me?

thanks again