1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I would like to express our sincere gratitude to you

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Falvane, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Falvane New Member

Spanish
    Hola, tengo que escribir una carta de agradecimiento ya que me han dado una beca para ir a un congreso. No estoy segura de que la segunda frase esté muy bien redactada, me podreis ayudar?
    Mi propuesta es:

My group and I would like to express our sincere gratitude to you for accept and grant my attendance the above ESF-EMBO Symposium. I am sure that the symposium is going to be helpful to learn so much for my PhD studies.

Thank you and Gracias...

2. Paul Clancy Senior Member

Ireland, English
    My group and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for agreeing to, and indeed, funding my attendance at the ESF-EMBO Symposium. We are most grateful indeed for this wonderful opportunity. I am certain that the event will not only be a valuable learning experience for me but will be useful to me in my PhD studies.

or
    My group and I would like to take this opportunity to express our gratitude to you for kindly agreeing to my participation and to funding my attendance at the ESF-EMBO Symposium. We are most grateful indeed for this wonderful opportunity. I am certain that the event will not only be a valuable learning experience for me but will be useful to me in my PhD studies.

If you prefer to use the sentences that you developed yourself, then might I suggest a few small changes so that the English is more correct?
    My group and I would like to express our sincere gratitude to you for agreeing to my participation and accepting to fund my attendance at the above ESF-EMBO Symposium. I am certain that I will learn much of relevance to my PhD studies.

Just to note that "sincere gratitude" sounds like a literal translation and is not really something that a mother tongue English speaker would write.

3. Falvane New Member

Spanish
    Thank you so much... Has sido de mucha ayuda.

4. cmnavedo

cmnavedo Junior Member

Mexico
    Spanish - México
    What do you think about my little correction to your suggestion (the fact of include the word: "also")?

Maybe: "I am certain that the event will not only be a valuable learning experience for me but will also be useful to me in my PhD studies."

5. Paul Clancy Senior Member

Ireland, English
    cmnavedo Hola. The addition of the word "also" is fine but NOT where you have placed it, for the sentence to read properly and to be correct, the word "also" should be placed BEFORE the word "be" NOT after the word "be" "... for me but will ALSO be ..."

6. cmnavedo

cmnavedo Junior Member

Mexico
    Spanish - México
    Ok, Paul. Thank you, very much.

7. Paul Clancy Senior Member

Ireland, English
    No hay de que
    Suerte