I would like to speak with German people

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by maicart, Oct 14, 2013.

1. maicart

maicart Senior Member

Castellón, Spain
    Spanish, Spain
    Hello,

I was trying to say the following sentence in German:

"I would like to speak with German people". I thought about "Ich möchte mit deutschen Leute sprechen". However, I've found some entries where people say it should be "mit deutschen Leuten".

I thought you only declined/inflected the adjective in German. Do you also inflect the noun?

Thanks.

2. Demiurg

Demiurg Senior Member

Germany
    German
    "mit deutschen Leuten" is syntactically correct but not very common.

You can say "mit deutschen Studenten" or "mit netten Leuten" or "mit Deutschen", but "mit deutschen Leuten" sounds strange. I think only foreigners would use this expression.

3. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    I agree with Demiurg. Wenn dann "mit deutschen Leuten", but it does not sound idiomatic in German.

Eventuell:
    Ich möchte mit deutschen Muttersprachlern reden/chatten.

4. Dan2

Dan2 Senior Member

US
    US English
    Grammar is more important than any single sentence, so let's also respond to this:
    1. Nouns take a variety of plural inflections (but I think you're really asking about inflection for case).
    2. Masc and neuter nouns usually add -s or -es in the genitive singular.
    3. Plural nouns that don't already end in -n add an -n in the dative. Thus "Die Leute sind ..." but "mit netten Leuten". (Exception: words, mostly foreign, that form the plural with -s.)
    4. A relatively small number of nouns (I think most are masc nouns ending in -e in the nominative singular, for ex., "der Name", but there are others, like "der Student") add an -n or -en in the other singular cases (and maybe also an -s for the genitive).

5. maicart

maicart Senior Member

Castellón, Spain
    Spanish, Spain
    Thanks Dan2. I was looking for your rule #3 (I seldom find it in grammar charts). For example, the plural of "Das Kind" is "Die Kinder". So I should say "mit netten Kindern", and NOT "mit netten Kinder".

6. Demiurg

Demiurg Senior Member

Germany
    German
  7. ewan_rutherford New Member

English
    I would say "Ich möchte mit Deutschen reden".