I wouldn't change them for the world

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Hevever, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Hevever New Member

Ireland
    English- Ireland
    Hola amigos!

Quiero decir 'If I was given the opportunity to change my family, I wouldn't change them for the world'.

Is there a set idiom for the expression 'I wouldn't change them for the world'?

How is this for an attempt-
    "Si me diera la oportunidad de cambiar a mi familia, no la cambiaría por nada del mundo."

Muchas gracias :D

2. Agró

Agró Senior Member

High Navarre
    Spanish-Navarre
    A small correction:
    "Si me dieran/Si se me diera la oportunidad de cambiar a mi familia, no la cambiaría por nada del mundo:tick:."

3. Hevever New Member

Ireland
    English- Ireland
    Thank you very much Agró!

4. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    When you say "to change my family", do you mean 1) to make my family different from how it is now or 2)to swap my family for another one?
    I'm asking because if it were the second case, I think the Spanish would be "cambiar de familia".

5. Hevever New Member

Ireland
    English- Ireland
    Ah yes, I do mean it in the second sense that you have stated inib, 'if I were given the opportunity to SWAP my family'. So the correct form would be
    "Si me dieran la oportunidad de cambiar de familia, no la cambiaría por nada del mundo." ?

6. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    I think so. Wait for second opinions just in case usage differs from one area to another.
    I think I might make it even clearer by saying "Si me dieran/Si tuviese la oportunidad de cambiar de familia, no cambiaría la mía por nada del mundo". I've now included "la mía" because I earlier avoided "mi familia".
    There are also probably alternative ways of saying "If I was/were given the opportunity to....", but I've tried to stick to the original.