1. LatinFlower New Member

He encontrado la expresión "Ice calving" (también glaciar calving y iceberg calving") para referirse a la fractura de grandes pedazos de glaciares en los polos. Quisiera saber de qué verbo viene la palabra "calving" ya que he buscado "calving" y "calve" y no encuentro relación a la acción de romper, partir, separar, etc.

Gracias a todos de antemano.

2. Alisterio

Alisterio Senior Member

Mexico City
    UK English
    El verbo "to calve" se usa para las vacas que dan a luz (es literalmente "parir un becerro"). No sé a quién se le habrá ocurrido que los glaciares eran como las vacas y los icebergs sus crías, pero ahí está - parte de la riqueza ilógica del idioma inglés.
  3. ery1980 Senior Member

¿No será "ice carving"?
  4. mijoch Banned

British English
    "To calve"-----"Parir"-------"To give birth to"-------usually refers to animals like cows, etc,

Why glaciers give birth to icebergs is beyond me, but thats how we say it.
  5. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    En mi diccionario, la primera definición de "to calve" es "to give birth to a calf".
    Metafóricamente, el glaciar (the glacier) es una vaca (o ¿quién sabe? una ballena) y da a luz a un "ternero" de hielo.
  6. mijoch Banned

British English
    As glaciers can give birth to icebergs; in popular English many female entities can calve. To know which female animals can calve is a question of many years of study or to be born an English speaker.
  7. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    By sheer luck, I found this quotation (from Scribners magazine, 1892) in the C.O.H.A.:
    "The Esquimaux are so familiar with this process of separating bergs from the land-ice that when they hear the roar which it causes they say the glacier is 'calving,' or giving birth to its young." (The next sentence sneeringly adds "By this savage description they seem to indicate, in the manner common to primitive peoples, their sense of the activity which exists in the glacial streams as well as that perception of life in nature which, through a common feature with uncivilized people, disappears with the advance in culture." Shame on them for using biological metaphors!:)) Remember that the Inuit were never herders of cattle; maybe I was right with my jocular reference to whales!
  8. mijoch Banned

British English
    ¿Jocular?---------in modern, and not so modern English, whales do in fact "calve". As I say; "many years of study".
  9. LatinFlower New Member

Oh wow, thank you all: Alisterio, Cenzontle and Mijoch.

Este foro es lo máximo. :)

Makes sense now, specially with the quotation that Cenzontle found. I was racking my brain trying to find a connection with what I was seeing in this video: http://youtu.be/hC3VTgIPoGU

Thank you again.