Icelandic: það kleift

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by ShakeyX, Mar 14, 2014.

1. ShakeyX Senior Member

British English
    "Wi-Fi var ætlað að gera fjarskiptabúnaði (líkt og fartölvum) það kleift að tengjast við þráðlaus staðarnet en er nú gjarnan notað fyrir internetaðgang og VoIP-síma."

Little confusion, I just wondered if the það in það kleift is

Það a dummy or það as in sá.

Is it like: þú gerir mig reiðan
    as in you are making "það" kleift.

OR

það kleift in a way like sá is used... in some way that I'm not used to, to make "The possibility"? or something along these lines.

2. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    It's an example of one of those times where það is used earlier in the sentence but actually is co-referring to the clause after kleift.

Wi-Fi var ætlað að gera fjarskiptabúnaði (líkt og fartölvum) það kleift að tengjast við þráðlaus staðarnet
    Wi-Fi var ætlað að gera fjarskiptabúnaði (líkt og fartölvum) það (að tengjast við þráðlaus staðarnet) kleift
    Wi-Fi var ætlað að gera fjarskiptabúnaði (líkt og fartölvum) kleift að tengjast við þráðlaus staðarnet

It's too much of a large verb phrase (
    að tengjast við þráðlaus staðarnet) to stick in between the expression að gera einhverju(m) kleift að... which also has the (such as laptops) to extend the syntax as well. When things get potentially complex, it's normal to try to put in extra redundant information to help when sentences and clauses get really long and complicated. You can still use it anyway in places where there aren't such wordy parts interrupting the flow of the syntax, but it's less common there. It's just a bit of redundancy in the form of það - which shouldn't really come as a surprise as Icelandic likes to do things like that a lot.

3. ShakeyX Senior Member

British English
    Thanks for your help last time, so was just a dummy það alluding to something else (að...) and saying that thing was kleift/possible.

However I found an odd example just now on Vísir:

"Vefsíðan Tomnod gefur almenningi kleift að leita vélarinnar á netinu í gegnum gervihnattaljósmyndir"

The website Tomnod gave the public "possible" to search...

Of course I can work out what this means it just... rings odd, and I haven't noticed an adjective being used in this way before, i also don't assume a það is omitted anywhere, maybe if it was "gerir almenningi (það) kleift" however this seems odd. Anything hidden and omitted or is this just something to learn. Any other examples of adjectives being used in ways that in English only a noun could be used.

4. Segorian Senior Member

Icelandic & Swedish
    Gefa kleift is incorrect Icelandic. As you suggest, the verb to be used is gera.

The structure of the sentence is “make (it) possible for the public to…”. The dative almenningi corresponds to a construction with the preposition “for” in English.