1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Icelandic: Allt það

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by ShakeyX, Jul 9, 2013.

1. ShakeyX Senior Member

British English
    En Marge, Það var fyrir þig, til að kaupa allt það fallega sem þú átt skilið

But Marge, it was for you, (in order to) buy all that beautiful stuff which you deserve.

I was wondering if someone could give me the grammar breakdown of allt það fallega... why fallega, what form is it in? what does this mean alone so it can be used in other senses? Is fallega a form of the adjective or just the adverb beautifully (which i doubt).

2. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Fallega is the third person neuter singular adjective of fallegur.
    When used with the pronoun sá (see) it translates "that + adjective" and you can think of it as something like 'all that is beautiful' but it doesn't sound as poetic in Icelandic as it might do in English. It's much more common to use the neuter gender of an adjective to imply a noun with things like 'stuff' or 'things' or whatever else is not really defined and just used in a general sense. When not just an adjective by itself (i.e. with a pronoun here) it 'covers' what any noun would usually mean. If you think of it like 'all that is beautiful' then you can get a sense of how you can use adjectives to explain it in English without resorting to saying 'stuff' or 'things'.

3. ShakeyX Senior Member

British English
    I don't see how this is neutral though, it looks like the feminine "bending" to me. And could you tell me a little bit abou the pronoun sá, is sá being used in my example or was that just additional information?

4. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    It's the weak declension of neuter fallegur.
    is a demonstrative pronoun that specifies something specific, it defines something, it makes the adjective next to it definite (i.e. the same as having an article connected) so that fits the pattern of requiring that the adjective is declined in the weak form.

is being used in your example, it's what that það is from.
    The way you use it is to say "that" as if it's stressed.

I read the book -> Ég las bókina.
    I read that book -> Ég las þá bók.

Make sure you have that link open in the last thing to study it to see how it changes. Not only is it irregular but its forms overlap with many other forms which make for it to be pretty tricky to get a hold on at first, but I promise it will click shortly and you'll get the hang of it.

Þarna er sá maður .... There is that man
    Þarna er sú kona .... There is that woman
    Þarna er það barn ... There is that child

When you've already made reference to a person or a noun, if you want to refer back to it you can just use the relevant form of to mean "that (one)".
    So, in your original sense, it went to default neuter (thus making it weak declension) and was effectively something like "buy you all that beautiful [= beautiful stuff/things]".

5. ShakeyX Senior Member

British English
    So in another example, just to try for myself... say there was a car lot, with tons of cars and I have finally decided to buy my wife one of them... ég ætla að kaupa sá rauða handa þér

Maybe?

6. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Almost!
    Kaupa + accusative - remember.
    One more try?

7. ShakeyX Senior Member

British English
    þann! þannnnnnnnnn!

8. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland