Icelandic: annast, gæta, hjúkra... o. fl.

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by AatM, Mar 14, 2013.

1. AatM Senior Member

England
    English
    Hi guys,
    I was looking up how to say "I don't care", and before I found "care" in the meaning I wanted (Mér er sama.), I came across a huge range of different verbs meaning "to care" in the sense of to care for someone. Among them were "að hjúnkra" and "að gæta" which I am familiar with, but also I found others such as "að annast", "að hugsa um (e-n)", and "að sinna". Are they all interchangeable and simply exist for variety, or are there specific situations in which it would be appropriate to use certain ones?

Takk strákar!

2. sindridah Senior Member

Reykjavík
    Icelandic
    All of this verbs except að gæta means to take care of someone ( nurse on patient at the hospital etc... ) að hjúkra means nursing baiscly. So if someone were to be sick in your house you would be "all of this verbs" him ;D

3. AatM Senior Member

England
    English
    Takk fyrir að hjálpa sindridah! Geturðu gefið mér dæma fyrir "að gæta"?

4. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    In my experience gæta is most often used to mean to babysit, or to watch over/be attentive of in a more super-/sub-servient relationship. Note that it takes its object in the genitive case - one of the rare few that do.

5. AatM Senior Member

England
    English
    Those tricksy neuter nouns! :p Takk kærlega fyrir Alxmrphi!

6. sindridah Senior Member

Reykjavík
    Icelandic
    It's more common that gæta means to watch out for something or be careful ;D yeah better to let Alxmrphi explain it for you;D

7. AatM Senior Member

England
    English
    Thank you both for your help! :D