Icelandic: einkum er hann ætti til nockurs ad vinna

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Silver_Biscuit, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Silver_Biscuit

Silver_Biscuit Senior Member

Reykjavík
    English - UK
    Hi,

OK, just a couple more bits that I am stuck with in this 1801 text on translation. Here's a sentence that's got me confused:

(That which there is no worry of is that someone will take too long over a translation.)

I am really uncertain about how to understand these bits in bold, any have any input or advice?

2. NoMoreMrIceGuy Senior Member

Kallinge, Sweden
    Icelandic
    The first part in bold seems fine (although I would rather say if he had anything to gain) but the second is wrong. It means that it's likely that the quality of the translation will follow the skill put into it (in this case a most likely bad one since it's been done by someone who promises more than they can deliver because of the money involved)

3. Silver_Biscuit

Reykjavík
    English - UK
    Jahá, takk fyrir!

4. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Hi SB,

This isn't what you were asking about, but I noticed you translated Fyrir því þarf ecki rád ad gjøra as "There is no worry about that".

Is "worry about (something)" an older meaning of gera ráð fyrir (einhverju)? The only modern meaning I'm familiar with is "assume".

5. Silver_Biscuit

Reykjavík
    English - UK
    I was not translating literally there. I thought This we need not assume for us Icelanders or similar constructions sounded less than good in English. I surmised that if there were no need to assume/expect something, that would be the same as in English when we say there's no worry of something. Especially since in the context, this is not a good thing that there is no need to assume.