Icelandic: Gatsby believed in the green light

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by AatM, Mar 21, 2013.

1. AatM Senior Member

I'm trying to translate an excerpt from the book The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. The extract (the closing section) concerned is "Gatsby believed in the green light, in the orgastic future which year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter - tomorrow, we will run faster, stretch out our arms further... And one fine morning -". I have been unable to find much of the vocabulary and so I thought it would be beneficial to get help with this as well as upon constructions which I don't know. My effort, which is only partial, goes as far as this: "Gatbsy trúaði á græna ljósinu, á..." So any help in translating would be much appreciated, or better still if someone had the Icelandic translated copy if they could share what it has! Takk kærlega!
  2. sindridah Senior Member

Gatsby trúði á græna ljósið í orgastic?(wtf) framtíðinni sem ár eftir ár hvarf á undan okkur. Þá slapp það á undan okkur, en það skiptir ekki - á morgun, munum við hlaupa hraðar og teygja hendur okkar lengra... Og einn góðan morgun -"
  3. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    I found a translation which was published in a newspaper a few years ago:

4. AatM Senior Member

RE sindridah: "orgastic" sounds that weird for a reason - I have never seen it anywhere else and dictionaries have it as simply supposedly an alternative of "orgasmic". So you were right to be confused - most people are when they first read it, and I am among them!

Thank you both very much guys - you have been extremely helpful! Alxmrphi, if you've still got that article to hand, could you possibly give me the last line of the book as long as it's there? The English being, "So we push on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.". If it's not readily accessible, don't worry and many thanks again to you and to sindridah!

EDIT: Found it myself. Takk kærlega fyrir hjálpina!