1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Icelandic: Happy Birthday

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Grefsen, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    I'm good friends with a Nordic couple (he is Icelandic and she is Norwegian) and their two children have birthdays this week. I'm planning to send the children eCards this weekend and was originally going to write in Norwegian, but since the children are also learning Icelandic, I thought I might also want to write "Happy Birthday" in Icelandic as well.

I was wondering too if anyone has a suggestion about something else besides just "Happy Birthday" that would be appropriate to write in Icelandic in a birthday card.

"Takk!"

2. Lorixnt2 Junior Member

Italy/Italian
    Til hamingju [SIZE=-1]með [/SIZE]afmæli[SIZE=-1]ð [/SIZE]

or

[SIZE=-1]Til hamingju með (number of the years) [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ára afmælisdagin

B[/SIZE]æ

3. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    I'm curious to know what the direct English translation of 'Til hamingju [SIZE=-1]með[/SIZE] afmæli[SIZE=-1]ð[/SIZE]' is. Is it [SIZE=-1]'Til hamingju með' that [/SIZE]means '[SIZE=-1]number of the years?' If so, then what does '[/SIZE]afmæli[SIZE=-1]ð' and '[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ára afmælisdagin' mean?

'Takk!'
    [/SIZE]

4. Lorixnt2 Junior Member

Italy/Italian

Til hamingju has not imho a literal translation in English but keep in mind I could be wrong on that since I'm not an Icelander.

Hamingja means grosso modo luck, fortune, happiness.

Til, instead, is a preposition covering a good number of the mental operations you use in English the preposition "to" for. But the two fields don't exactly overlap.

So, eventually, Til hamingju [SIZE=-1]með ---> Good luck with [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]or [/SIZE][SIZE=-1] be happy with

[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Af[/SIZE]mæli , instead, means exactly birthday and afmæli[SIZE=-1]ð[/SIZE] is simply the enclitic determined articulated form "the birthday"

A[SIZE=-1]fmælisdagin [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]is a composed word meaning the day of the birthday or[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]better, if you could say such a thing in English, the birthdayday[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]
    A[SIZE=-1]fmæli-s (gen) (cp. in [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]English [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]the saxon genitive 's) and dag ---> day

Ár --->
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]year [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Ára [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]is a plural genitive [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]

Vertu
    [/SIZE]blessaður (or blessu
    ð if you were a girl):)

5. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    'Takk' for all of your help Lorixnt2. :)